10 lb Propane tanks - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-25-2013   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
10 lb Propane tanks

Lite tank discussion got too long, so here is a new thread.

I don't want a 20lb tank in my boat, too big, too heavy, too bulky. I am looking for 10lb tank. I just talked to Cascades Outfitters and they discontinued all fiberglass tanks in their shop (Ragasco). I looked on nrsweb and sure enough they don't have them either. Maybe they are up to something?

I know Ragasco has 11lb tank, which would work for me. How many of you have Ragasco tanks and could express an opinion on it?

Technical specifications - Hexagon Ragasco
(amazon only sells 20lb, so I need to google some more).

I found a steel 10lb tank which would work as well if Ragasco doesn't come through.

10 lb (2.5 gallon) Propane Tank / Cylinder - Propane Tank Store*|*Propane Tank Store

Thoughts on a better ~10lb tank out there?

Thanks!

PS: Just found out 11lb Ragasco tanks are on backorder until January 2014

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013   #2

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Hey Alex, I have the 20 # or 5 gallon Ragasco tank. They are color coded. Gray = 5 gallon and the Royal Blue = 3 gallons. They have two larger sizes you probably wouldn't be interested in. About the same size as a standard steel tank but quite a bit less weight. Still fits in a 6 gallon milk crate which is handy since they are round. Very happy that I lucked out choosing this over the Lite cylinder for obvious reasons. No complaints with cylinder or quality. Propane Tanks - Ragasco U.S. Distributor - Fiberglass Propane Tank
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Worthington

I have been deciding what to do since the Lite recall. I may go with an aluminum tank. They are relatively expensive compared to other alternatives, but I like the diameter of the 6# tank. It would fit well in my boat and be the perfect size for a 4 day trip. They are sold on Amazon. They also make a 10# tank that is a little less expensive.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
have the 17 ragasco and like it. Yeah, diameter is a bit larger than the lite cylinder.
construction is different. I think the ragasco uses an inner liner that contains the propane and they spin fiberglass around it to encase/strengthen it. then they put it in a plastic case.

the lite cylinder was two halfs glued together. so probably why they were failing.

looked at the smaller ragasco but same footprint just shorter. We used up about a half tank of the 17 lb tank on a week long trip of 13 people, and also used up a whole lite cylinder 11lb. One thing I was disappointed with is the ragasco won't work with my Y adapter without modifications. So couldn't run my burner and a propane T off the same tank.

I'm guessing the reason why they are hard to get now is everyone who got screwed did what I did and went out and bought a ragasco. They are wickedly light compared to a steel cylinder -- even when full of gas. And some vendors are probably saying they will never support another composite.

by the way I got my 17 for $99 shipped from a place on Ebay out of Florida, where they are made. The smaller ones were more expensive. Tiki Torch place????

An aluminum tank probably is more expensive and you can't gauge your consumption as well unless you have a scale.

If I ever get on the grand I will be lucky to have the larger tank available ...
Old 07-25-2013   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
I looked at aluminum and they are darn expensive. I found a 10lb steel tank for $45 locally. I might just do that or wait for January when smaller Ragasco available. I sure liked knowing how much propane I have before heading out.
Old 07-25-2013   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I looked at aluminum and they are darn expensive. I found a 10lb steel tank for $45 locally. I might just do that or wait for January when smaller Ragasco available. I sure liked knowing how much propane I have before heading out.
Rust and if you don't transport or store them padded, they can garf up your other gear. Was worth the $99 for the Ragasco. Just hope they don't wind up in the same landfill as the lite tanks
Old 07-25-2013   #7
The Russian

SLC, Utah
As you pointed out, Ragasco are built completely different than Lite cylinders were. 1 whole piece vs two halves. I've had my Lite tank for 4 years, so I don't regret buying it in the first place, plus having full credit refunded to me by Cascade Outfitters. I only have one trip left this year, so I might just wait for Ragasco 11lb tank to come out. Thanks for everyones feedback.
Old 07-25-2013   #8

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1896
Be careful of Ragasco, something IS going on there. I ordered one thru Amazon in March this year, and it showed up with a 2006 manufacture date and signs of obvious wear. Sent it back, and the next one was in worse shape, with the same manufacture date. Cancelled order and called NRS. That had run into exactly the same thing, and were dropping Ragasco tanks, literally on the day I called. All the tanks were drop-shipped from a Ragasco warehouse, and the vendors were told all the tanks were new. The one I ordered thru had never seen the tank, and didn't know he was shipping used. NRS told me Ragasco had brought in thousands of tanks from somewhere.
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #9
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Be careful of Ragasco, something IS going on there. I ordered one thru Amazon, and it showed up with a 2006 manufacture date and signs of obvious wear. Sent it back, and the next one was in worse shape, with the same manufacture date. Cancelled order and called NRS. That had run into exactly the same thing, and were dropping Ragasco tanks, literally on the day I called. All the tanks were drop-shipped from a Ragasco warehouse, and the vendors were told all the tanks were new. The one I ordered thru had never seen the tank, and didn't know he was shipping used. NRS told me Ragasco had brought in thousands of tanks, probably anticipating the Lite Cy recall.
All the sites I looked at this morning selling Ragasco are out of stock on any but 20lb tanks. I guess I will give them 1/2 year to figure stuff out, not in a hurry. Thanks for heads up.
Old 07-25-2013   #10

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I might just do that or wait for January when smaller Ragasco available. I sure liked knowing how much propane I have before heading out.
I liked my Lite cylinder as well for a variety of reasons. Do you know the dimensions on the 10# Ragsco that will be out in January?