10.5' Boat Tips - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2015   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
10.5' Boat Tips

Hey everyone!

I just bought my first boat. A 10.5' RMR Storm. Looking forward to getting on the river and learning.

Just from researching and talking to folks it sounds like a lot are starting to favor the smaller boats like the Storm and Mini Max. Any other small boat owners have tips/tricks for a newbie?

All help is appreciated!

- Carlo

carloritschl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2015   #2

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
they are more stable than you think. but at the same time much more flippy than a loaded 14er etc. the beauty is you can think a little more kayak like in terms of line choice, moves, etc. you can catch eddy's and play more. when the water gets bigger it is extra important to "T-things Up" or run them perpendicular. ...

probably most importantly, "high siding" , becomes very important and fun. a mini max rewards active paddlers , preemptively leaning into waves/ rocks when necessary etc.

its really easy to hold your angles, then at the last minute make one big stroke and "t Up" a feature. very maneuverable.

its also amazing how much differently the boat will preform from r2 ( light nimble, insanely maneuverable. ) to r5 ( a maneuverable / stable/ tracking/ tug boat) ... they are a blast! go have fun! and this is coming from a cautious, primarily class III - IV- boater. but I have spent a lot of days in the mini max , and run a few V's in one

happy boatin
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015   #3
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hmm. make sure you hit water features strait, and hard, was amazed at what my 11' culebra went through on it's last trip, lined up and punched right through. Was also loaded heavy. And catarafts tend to go through stuff a little better than rafts.
On that note, try and avoid the meat till you have a better feel for what your new boat can do, don't go followin' the big boats into stuff that will flip you. Ease into it with mellower runs first.
Also river rescue cources are awesome, I have been happy with my rescue 3 training.

Little boats are a great time, enjoy!
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015   #4

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I will echo what GratefulOne said, but add that they are SO maneuverable, that it is easy to over-correct. They "turn on a dime" compared to larger rafts, so it can take a bit of getting used to if you've spent time paddling (or even rowing) larger rafts. But once you get the hang of it, they are SO much fun.

I'll pick my mini-max over my 14 footer every time given a choice!
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Will reiterate the need to t-up and high side, but its really easy. I just learned a cool trick; if you're R2ing in bigger pushier water put a big five or ten gallon water jug in the front. The wave trains won't toss the bow right and left as much and it helps punch through those splashier features better.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #6

Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by almortal View Post
Will reiterate the need to t-up and high side, but its really easy. I just learned a cool trick; if you're R2ing in bigger pushier water put a big five or ten gallon water jug in the front. The wave trains won't toss the bow right and left as much and it helps punch through those splashier features better.
Good to know. I"ve been trying to figure out what to put in the front of my Puma when rowing or R2ing to keep the bow down.

I love to R2 with somebody my size who can read water and make the moves intuitively. No need for a captain or commands, other than "make it so".
PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
That is a great tip! Can't wait to T up with an aquatainer in the front
carloritschl is offline   Reply With Quote