Yampa River Town Run Through Steamboat Springs - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Yampa River Town Run Through Steamboat Springs

Anyone have any info on the town run through steamboat, specifically, can one get under the lower bridges at current flow. I plan on running it this week, have a 16ft oar raft and have run it at 1,200 CFS, but it is much higher right now. Also, any issues with C and D holes at these flows? Any insight would be appreciated as I will be bringing kids, experienced with rafting, but still kids.

Thx

Corn_Dog_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think it still might be a touch high for an oar rig, real easy to scout the 5th street bridge and the railroad bridge behind the Flour Mill. But a deeper drop in flows today than we have seen so maybe it finally is coming down and should open up again soon.

C & D are fine if you are squared up and carrying speed, sideways not so much. Whole run has the core trail mostly right next to it to walk it with the kiddos and make a call. So nice to see water, but it is quicker in spots without a lot of raft eddies.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

steamboat springs, Colorado
i haven't ridden down to check on them today, but i'm guessing you can get under both the railroad and 5th street bridges by now. last reading i saw this afternoon was around 2000 cfs in town. have fun!
sonofdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
At 2000 cfs today I had 2” or more of clearance on my DRE seat.
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks all. The river did drop quite a bit through the week. We ran it at 2K CFS and had a few inches of clearance from my DRE seat on the frame. Super fun run and always fun when people on the shore and bridges are hoopin' and hollerin' as you pass by. Our ducky took it's time getting out of the C-Hole with about 5 minutes of re-circulation action. Thanks to the stranger that pushed it out of the eddy and sent it downstream to the raft.
Corn_Dog_D is offline   Reply With Quote