Whitewater Capital of the West? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-24-2019   #1

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1990
Whitewater Capital of the West?

So i was in Kernville the other day on my way home from Vegas and they had banners up calling themselves the whitewater capital of the west and the might be right. but lets debate.
Coloma has a good shot mabe Salida and the ARK?
Idaho has too many god dam permits and seems to be more spread out.
So on a normal water year what do u think is the whitewater capital of west?
Kernville Upper, Forks and lower
Coloma 3 forks of American + Giant Gap
I don't think ID or OR or CO can match either of those 2 places but enlighten me.....if u dare
Cheers mate...

Villainista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
1 vote for Salida and the Arkansas... We move more folks down this river than anywhere else in the US I'm told
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019   #3

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Based on what? How many customers get pushed down in a season, number of high quality runs? Where Is there a higher concentration of “hard” runs. How far do I have to travel to get to multiple good spots, is shuttle easy so I spend more time paddling and less in the truck? Where is the best beer and weed? Do I have to travel on I25 or I70 or other super sucky bumper to bumper roads? How long is the season? Is the water always so [email protected]#$ing cold? So many considerations
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019   #4

Salida, Colorado
Just the sheer number of folks that play on the river in everything from inner tubes to commercial trips. Pine Creek from Granite, the Numbers are both class V, The Royal Gorge is class IV, Browns Canyon in class III, Beer and weed are widely available at multiple locations, all the shuttles are easy to do, the put in's and take out's are very accessible and at hardened sites with restrooms and ramps. The traffic moves relatively well on 285/24 and US 50, the season is year round but the good (read: high) water flows from April to Sept generally....

Oh wait, sorry.. The water is always -30 degrees, the weather sucks, too many damn rocks in the river, yep, sucks hind tit here, better to go boat elsewhere !!
Old 09-24-2019   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Lol. Salida..... your funny. Salida has fishermen and play boaters, artists and mountain bikers. Whitewater enthusiasts inevitably end up in BV. Generally, the Ark can be boated all but a month or two of the year, and there is everything from I to V within a short drive.

Beside all the runs on the Ark itself we have Clear and Lake Creek Ark, the Taylor, the Roaring Fork, the Eagle (including Gilman), and Tenmile Creek within about an hour.... (and btw the Taylor is still flowing around 350 below the dam)
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019   #6

Salida, Colorado
Not to mention Fibark The whole river corridor runs from Granite to Canon City, there's something for everyone, at least that was the theory that the Arkansas River RMP was based on.
Old 09-24-2019   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainista View Post
Idaho has too many god dam permits and seems to be more spread out.
Boise is the whitewater capital of southern Idaho, and Missoula is the whitewater capital of north/central Idaho.

Yes, I realize Missoula is in Montana.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019   #8

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I dunno, but wherever we decide the white water capital is, let’s just put it someplace I wasn’t planning to spend to much time boating at!

The Ark is a pretty good possibility...
Driving along the North Fork of the Payette, looks like enough goods to scare the crap out of your self after work every day, and never get board. Might get locked up for the weed, though.
Old 09-24-2019   #9

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post

When did they move it ?!?!?!?!

ROTFLMAO
Old 09-24-2019   #10

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Boise is the whitewater capital of southern Idaho, and Missoula is the whitewater capital of north/central Idaho.

It always blows my mind that there are guided trips on the Alberton gorge that start and end in Spokane. I mean, I love the gorge and spend a decent amount of time on that stretch, but I don't know if it's worth 6+ hours of drive time, but maybe I'm spoiled.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote