Western Slope Day Trips? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2018   #1

Montrose, Colorado
Western Slope Day Trips?

Hello all,

We bought a 14' NRS raft last year to use for day trips at our family cabin on the Rio Grande...but there's no water this year.

We also recently relocated back to Montrose (I lived there as a kid). Are there any good day trips close to Montrose? My wife will camp in the pop-up but we haven't yet progressed to tent camping. My sons are 5 and 7 so it'll be dad rowing - I'm also a super-beginner so easier is better at this stage of the game.

Thanks

TheThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018   #2

Montrose, Colorado
Welcome back to Montrose.
There are a number of day trips that can be done.
I would look at doing the Pleasure Park (Confluence of Gunnison and N. Fork of Gunnison) down to either the Highway 65 Bridge or from the Hwy 65 Bridge to Confluence Park in Delta. A shorter version of the Pleasure Park run exists by taking out on private property access across from Canal St in Austin, but the usability of this access is unknown.

Further down, you can go from Escalante to Bridgeport or Bridgeport to Whitewater. These will be long at the flows we are looking at this year, but they are valid day trips.

Once you can get into more difficult water, or overnight trips the options can grow quite a lot - Gunny Gorge, Uncompahgre, Ruby-HT, Westwater, San Miguel...
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018   #3
Pieter Porcupine

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
A little further away: Moab daily, Roaring Fork Cemetery, Grizzly Creek, Upper Colorado, Yampa Town.
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2018   #4

Ridgway, Colorado
QuietHunter is about right.

Pleasure Park>Orchard is your best bet. Orchard is a nice public take out a couple miles up stream of Austin.
Take it Hwy65 if you want some more (residential) miles. Take out is steep and narrow but doable.

Escalante>Dominguez(Bridgeport) is a great mellow long day. The take out at Bridgeport is a hellish nightmare. Don't try it if it's just you, wife, and kids. I haven't tried the Whitewater take out but, I've herd that it sucks almost as much as Bridgeport and your car will have been broken into.

The Unc is really only boatable from Ridgway to the res. (1 hr.). Guided trips run below the res. from Billy Creek but the take out is private. You really need 400 to run Ridgway to the res., it never got there this year.

The San Miguel is a sportier option on normal years. It never got to my min. of 500 this year.

The Taylor is fun over 300, never got there this year.

Moab daily is fun as a day or overnight, bit of a drive.

Upper Dolores, West Fork>Town is fun when it runs; not this year.

Lower Dolores, is awesome when it runs; not this year.

Gunni gorge down Chukar is super fun but, it's a long day and you're gonna need a horse.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018   #5

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Welcome back to MoTown.

The Town Run is a reasonable 1-2 hour trip. Go from Target to Main Street or Taviwach Park. It's low now for a 14', but would probably still go.

The Gunny near Gunnison is very doable in a 14' even at lower flows. Go from Almont to Garlic Mike's, or Mike's to the WW Park. Either one is a couple hour float.

I've heard great things about the Lake Fork of the Gunny too, which might work great for your wife's camping preference.
Duckins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018   #6

Montrose, Colorado
This stuff is great guys! Thanks and keep it coming.
Old 06-06-2018   #7
$5 shower

Historic Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Motown Represent!

Lake Fork is super sporty for a 14' raft.

I just ran the town run in a 9.5 ft paddle raft and the left turn under the bridge near Wendy's is a mess. Don't run right as there is a submerged fence post sticking out like a big spear at a very odd angle. They are replacing that bridge so hopefully they'll clean it up. Also, come down to the water park on wednesdays for surf demo night.

Ken
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018   #8
Edd Franz, BLM Montrose

Montrose, Colorado
There's also a nice, easy full-day float on the Gunnison from Confluence Park in Delta to the Escalante boat access in Dominguez-Escalante National Conservation Area. It's about 14 miles, I think. The eddy is small at the take-out, so be sure to have a good look at it when you run shuttle.
efranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThom View Post
Hello all,

We bought a 14' NRS raft last year to use for day trips at our family cabin on the Rio Grande...but there's no water this year.

We also recently relocated back to Montrose (I lived there as a kid). Are there any good day trips close to Montrose? My wife will camp in the pop-up but we haven't yet progressed to tent camping. My sons are 5 and 7 so it'll be dad rowing - I'm also a super-beginner so easier is better at this stage of the game.

Thanks
Gunnison a good float and great fishing.
danocb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Montrose, Colorado
I know this thread is old, but given that the water is so different this year, then when I wrote the original post, I was wondering if the recommendations have changed?

What parts of the Uncompahgre would work for a 14' raft? I've scouted out all of the Lower Gunny take out and had my first run cancelled because of our sporty spring weather.