Upper Middle Fork Flathead River, MT timing - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-10-2019   #1

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Upper Middle Fork Flathead River, MT timing

Hey all,

I've searched through the old threads and can't seem to find this information. I'm planning on taking my father-in-law down middle fork of the flathead from Shafer Meadows down. We want to time our flight in so that there is decent water but the fishing is good. I've gathered the 1st of July is a good time for this? Should I wait later?

bdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019   #2

Colorado, Colorado
All depends on the snow pack they'll receive this year as well as what type of river craft you plan on utilizing
AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I certainly understand the snowpack piece. We'll be running a 14' oar rig. On a "typical" year when would you recommend.
bdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019   #4
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
I did it once in late June and it had dropped below "recommended put in." I was in a 13' oar rig and won' t do that again.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
I've been in there a couple of times, June and July for some great fishing. Never floated it though, never figured out the logistics of how to get back to the airplane. If you go, take the ranger some goodies, they really enjoy it. Good luck it looks like a great trip.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Never floated it though, never figured out the logistics of how to get back to the airplane.
MT Air Adventures (formerly Red Eagle) can also help with the vehicle shuttle
https://montanaairadventures.com/
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Thank you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
MT Air Adventures (formerly Red Eagle) can also help with the vehicle shuttle
https://montanaairadventures.com/
Thank you, this was back in the early 80's, no cell phone's back than and I don't think that air company was available back than, very little river running too, but the thought definitely crossed my mind. We flew in from denver with a fuel stop along the way. Would like to land with a little under, half full gas tanks to keep weight down for take off.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019   #8

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
bdaly - I am also planning on running the middle fork section all the way to west glacier in early June, From watching a lot of youtube videos and reading old mountain buzz forums it looks like late May early June is the time to shoot for watching the snow pack and the water levels. The flight company charges $450 one way per plane and the weight limit is 900lbs. Wondering how on earth a group gets multiple rafts and all the gear plus bodies all the way out there, we are trying to do it with 4 people and minimal gear with a single flight if possible. Looks like it gets way to bony if you wait to long and miss the window
JDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019   #9

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUKE View Post
bdaly - I am also planning on running the middle fork section all the way to west glacier in early June, From watching a lot of youtube videos and reading old mountain buzz forums it looks like late May early June is the time to shoot for watching the snow pack and the water levels. The flight company charges $450 one way per plane and the weight limit is 900lbs. Wondering how on earth a group gets multiple rafts and all the gear plus bodies all the way out there, we are trying to do it with 4 people and minimal gear with a single flight if possible. Looks like it gets way to bony if you wait to long and miss the window

You may have to have only 2 ppl fly in with the gear and boat, the other 2 may have to hike in via Morrison creek. I've never hiked it, but have heard from ppl that have that it is an easy mellow hike and mostly downhill. I believe it's somewhere around 10 miles or so, could be wrong on the mileage though.
AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thanks for the advice, this was the route we were going to go if the weight couldnt be reached and have them meet us there while we rigged everything up. From looking at the trail my only concern is getting dropped off at the trailhead. looks way out of the way to run leave a car and run shuttle to if we are already setting shuttle at west glacier. Wondering what the best thing to bring the ranger station would be, cold beer?
JDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote