Upper Middle Fork Flathead River, MT timing - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-19-2019   #11

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUKE View Post
Thanks for the advice, this was the route we were going to go if the weight couldnt be reached and have them meet us there while we rigged everything up. From looking at the trail my only concern is getting dropped off at the trailhead. looks way out of the way to run leave a car and run shuttle to if we are already setting shuttle at west glacier. Wondering what the best thing to bring the ranger station would be, cold beer?
Camp at TH night before, leave 2 hikers at TH early early in the morning to start their hike, drive to Kalispell to the airport where Red Eagle is, board plane and fly to schafer meadows, when you arrive as you said start rigging and wait for hikers...have Red Eagle run your shuttle vehicle to your take out point, at an extra cost of course.

AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2019   #12

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Thats a really good idea. Wondering if you had any experience of the spruce park section at higher CFS?
JDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019   #13

Colorado, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUKE View Post
Thats a really good idea. Wondering if you had any experience of the spruce park section at higher CFS?
I have absolutely no experience on the M.F. as of yet, hope to change that June or July 2020
AzPackrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2019   #14
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Our logistics went like this: 6 people, 1 raft, 1 ducky, 2 hard shells. We self shuttled. It was something like an hour each way from the airport but we only went as far Hwy 2 and not all of the way onto West Glacier.

2 planes @ $230/person (Maybe $250??). 5 people and light gear in one plane and everything else and 1 person in plane 2. Weight wasn't really an issue, we finished the trip with enough food and beer to just about lap it and had a stupidly heavy fire pan, full size camp chairs for everyone, etc. Basically we went normal river trip as far as gear is concerned.

The flight in was awesome. We flew low and slow as the pilot was pulling double duty working a contract to track radio collared bears. As I remember it there is a peak at the far end of Schafer meadow. The "normal" flight path is to drop over the ridge from the south and then fly up the meadow and around the peak while gradually descending. Our pilot looked at us and said "You guys look like your pretty comfortable. You OK doing the short drop to the runway?" Of course we said yes. He headed north towards the peak and then put us in a side slip to shed altitude. It's hard to describe being a non-pilot, but we went into a banking turn before the peak and then throttled back so that we were falling sideways through the air. He straightened it out just ahead of the landing strip and throttled up again. We landed as smooth as can be.

We were on the ground and able to watch the gear plane come in. They did the "normal" approach around the peak. It was only after seeing them that I realized what an impressive move our pilot had done. It was definitely a highlight of the trip.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019   #15

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Sounds like Dave Horner. We took a charter flight for a quick work trip to Missoula. Flew in the 206 with the big back windows. Sunrise flight low over US 93 with sunlight twinkling over hundreds of potholes on the CSKT Reservation and bison range. Flew home midday and spotted turkeys, bighorns, and wild horses on Wild Horse Island.

He asked if we wanted to see the private runway at Lakeside. "sure"

Did a similar move as you described and dropped below the treeline into a canyon where the airstrip materialized below us. We spit out over Flathead Lake and flew the rest of the way low over the lake and into Kalispell.

He's a stud.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019   #16

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
As I always said river rafters are just adrenaline junkies, hiding behind river gear and rivers to satisfy their true addiction.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019   #17

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Planning a Memorial weekend trip this year. We talked about using a local pack team to ride in and maybe use one plane trip for the big stuff. Snowy Spring Outfitters. They have good reviews from a friend of mine and Shawn Little was the name he mentioned.
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019   #18

Kalispell, Montana
Shawn is a friend of a coworker, I have met him twice.

Very reputable and he was responsible for packing in most of the rebuilding materials for the Sperry chalet.
Old 12-24-2019   #19

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
As I always said river rafters are just adrenaline junkies, hiding behind river gear and rivers to satisfy their true addiction.

At least as far as I'm concerned, Raymo you hit the nail firmly on the head LOL
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019   #20

Kalispell, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
At least as far as I'm concerned, Raymo you hit the nail firmly on the head LOL
I usedtowas, and that's what got me into whitewater--first kayaking and then rafting to share it with friends/family. I'm finding more that I simply love rivers and being out.

Or as an old guide once told me:
Boating is like sex: first for love, then for friends, then for money.