The Next Installment. - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 12-21-2019   #11

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
That is the line I ran, hit the top lateral too hard and ended in the whole. This is a video of my 2016 run, notice when we hit the lower hole that the camera almost hits my buddy in the helmet.

https://youtu.be/OsNbtG8xDVs

Also Electric-Mayhem how did you get your video links to show up like that?

J.

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019   #12

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspoon14 View Post
That is the line I ran, hit the top lateral too hard and ended in the whole. This is a video of my 2016 run, notice when we hit the lower hole that the camera almost hits my buddy in the helmet.

https://youtu.be/OsNbtG8xDVs

Also Electric-Mayhem how did you get your video links to show up like that?

J.
The forum does it automatically. I think it needs a specific formatting of the URL. Rather then using the "Share" button you have to just go to the address bar and get it there. If I try to just put the text in the forum software just converts it to embeded so here is a picture...

Let me try it with yours...

If you want the most drama free ride through Upset, basically start just left of center and go full steam ahead and just barely hit the downstream end of that big lateral at the top and keep pushing the whole time. There are 3 or 4 more smaller laterals that will want to push you back towards center so you just have to keep pushing that way. I do 45 degrees towards the wall with the bow of the boat and just gently but firmly keep pushing till you get to the hole and then pivot to hit the hole straight. Its worked great 4 out of 4 times for me.

Your 2016 run hit that Lateral full on, which is a ton of fun... but you lost the oar and weren't able to keep pushing left. I think if you had gotten a few good strong strokes in it would have worked out. Either way...it looked like a fun run and the hole didn't mess with you too much.

Definitely a lot more fun then trying to haul ass right and be scared of hitting the meat of the hole the entire time.

I feel like its not an insta-flip situation for the hole in Upset. I kind of have a feeling that if most of the flips come from trying to go around it and failing...and hitting it sideways with no momentum. Hit straight with some speed and there is a pretty good chance of getting through it even if you hit the meatiest part.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019   #13

East Wenatchee, Washington
Paddling Since: 1976
Early May in '18 the trip leader (never flipped in 40+ years) was ahead of me about 75 yards. He elected to take the lead and his line coming to the 1st huge lateral looked mighty strange - squared up sideway's/parallel. Well, for the first time I witnessed a fully loaded 18 footer make 180 degree roll.

I elected to take the center down as fast as I could to retrieve the 2 bodies and never noticed the hole at the bottom. Passenger fine, but skipper pounded really hard. The river god must have been pissed at him for some reason.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019   #14
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Yeah the top one or even two laterals can pound you if you're way over there in the meat of them. I usually start a little more right center pushing left, climb the right 1/3 of the second with a bunch of mo and then I'm on track to keep climbing while moving left towards the wall but never make it there. Have always been left of the hole. I have seen the hole get gutted straight and hard a couple times. It has yielded swimmers but has let the boats out upright.

as far as making the vid show up instead of the link....

1) copy the link.
2) Highlight the first word of your post.
3) click the little world symbol at the top of the text box.
4) paste your link in the box when it comes up.
5) hope it works. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, try again. I have fought with it a bit.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote