The Illly waz a bit chilly - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-27-2020   #1

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1990
The Illly waz a bit chilly

I went to the Illinois back in February.
tred to time it so I could also attend boatSmith. Cant add much more then the fact if you're going to start drinkin in Fresno and drive the Southern Oregon you should probably bring more than an 8 ball. ....
Lotz of civilization at put in and take out you could camp at both places , Also buy groceries or get a hotel Room if the weather was badd
Spend an extra day and run the upper portion of the Illinois, it looked cool and I heard it was good to go don't know much more than that.

If you run shuttle stop at Patrick's Corner and have a drink maybe hit the blue star too I didn't Google any of this shit LMNG
1000 CFS was mellow but at higher flows I could see that river getting really mean

Not a lot of campsites and the key one to catch is redstone or red beach above Green Wall Lmng
There's not a lot of campgrounds and it was the last one before the Big Rapids

Green Wallace a stupid name for rapid everything's green down there including the shit in my peli Box

It was cold and wet and the weather was dam near perfect I couldn't imagine being down there of it was raining, But I'm soft and from California
It was so cold and wet i was forced to grind up my oxy with my white girl just and snort that shit up to survive the night

Firm believer in Apocalypse Now scouting...
Not Even sure if I waz actually on the Illinois all I knows I didn't see no footprints on no beaches....

Met some of my boys from Tribtuary at boatSmith.God dam I love that river company

God-bless Dan Buckley and all the old school river guide owners....
Funny 60 people at bothSmith nobody ran the Illinois.......
Its 246 am Best Coast
I stopped by the Pacific Ocean encouraged her to deliver more moisture she said she is working on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200326_203054_1585301891761.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	44191   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200210_152735_1585302115822.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	44193  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_132058_1585302169080.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	44195  

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I've done the Illly with rain and snow flakes. Swore never to do that again and I was much younger then. My savoir was a sub zero polarguard sleeping bag otherwise a saturated wet solo tent with puddles would have been extra grim.

Anyway, nice trip write up. Thanks.

BTW, does Kara work at Tributary? Tell her hi from Ron, a grey-haired friend of her fathers.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020   #3

There were a few of us at Boatsmith Smith that ran the Illinois a couple weeks before the festival. Myself and 2 buddies put in at about 4k, it wasn't mellow. Another crew launched a couple days after us. Guess you were among the lucky few that got it this season. Might only have 1 or 2 more chances this season to get it at reasonable flows. Gonna be dragging IK's of you want a run in warmer weather. Sounds like you had a crazy party!
Big_B is offline   Reply With Quote