Suggestions for a mid april 4 day 3 nite ? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-27-2019   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Suggestions for a mid april 4 day 3 nite ?

Wife told me last week that her and the baby and grammy where going on a trip without me in mid april!? W.t. heck!? So me and 15 year old daughter (whos awsome) where thinking tahiti and some 10 foot barrels but realized we only have a week and 1500 bucks lol. We are intermediates so we want a scenic or nothing more than class 2/3 ! We live in bozo mt. and are about sick of winter, so a warmer (60s-70s ) would be awsome. Ive looked but never gone to Utah lol but labyrinth looks awsome IF the winds are not howling up stream(april 15th-?) Ive also looked at grand rhone and north fork of the john day. Had a friend recomend the priest in idaho but we've really only done rivers here and have no idea about flows and weather? So id say id do lybrinth or stillwater IF i could get a shuttle AND the wind wasnt a guarantee? And id do the grand rhond or similar? Id do lodore or deso/grey to as far as not being scared but permits and time would squish those i think. Did find a april 14th deso cancellation but think its to long a trip. Id be down to go anywhere IF i had local support there. Ie: i could fly in rent gear ect. Or sonething i could drive us to in 10 12 hours lol. Cant go international cause my passports exspired lol. Any ideas or recomendations would truly be appreciated. My daughter loves to hike/backpack too so that would be a bonus. Thank you !!

Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I would think Deso before the mozzies would be awesome.

It was 108 when we got off the river in June last year. Might be perfect in April. Why is it too long? You have a week right?
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #3

Bozeman, Montana
I thought i read it was a 8 or 9 day trip? Ill research it again right now and you can tell me too! Update on lybrinth-tex's is doing shittles now bit they only had to available trips with our dates. Thinking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I did an April trip in 2016 down Deso and we had some wicked wind storms and a bit of rain, but overall it was a pretty nice trip. No bugs, reasonable temps.

You can definitely get down Deso in 4 nights if you push, but 3 might be pushing it too far. I'd want a motor for sure to get down that fast though. Blasting through the first 26 miles of flatwater is easy work with one and it makes "wind events" much more pleasant.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If you want something with easy permits, or none at all, that will be the best weather opportunities, then check out Labyrinth or Stillwater Canyons, or the Colorado between Grand Junction and Moab, or from Potash on down. Lots of ways you could do a 4-day trip among those options, you could probably pick up a mid-week Westwater permit and just keep floating to Moab.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #6

Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
If you are looking at Oregon, the Deschutes fits the bill. It's warmer than the Grand Ronde and has more whitewater than the John Day.
athelake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #7
..is doing the damn thing

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Ruby Horsethief to WestWater link up?
ACheateaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #8

Bozeman, Montana
First off thanks to you helping i apreciate it! Well i looked again and both the westwater to moab and labyrinth float look good. Labyrinth would be longer and more a camping trip. I called down tgere and they said ,"yeah the wind blows but thats how it is its still beautifull" worrisome but how it is. I suggested these rivers more for skill level and length more than anything. So...is westwater scary lol ? It seens the perfect length and there are available permits for our dates? We have a 14 foot raft outfitted to flip but we never have lol. The ruby horse thief seems ok . No permits for lodore or yampa or san jaun or much else. Still could get a permit for deso grey . Still worried about wind (no motor). Ok thanks again
Old 03-27-2019   #9
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
WestWater will be Big 3-4 water = not what your looking for.... but maybe the Dolores will happen down there this year. Only 1 class IV in there. Check out the Taos area too. Dont let the headwinds scare you just get on early, get some oar extensions and use a bail bucket drift anchor.
We have spring break then too but I think we"ll try to get on something around here.
Old 03-28-2019   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Hey,
The Dolores does have some sections of Mellower water on it, but also some pretty big stuff, from Gateway down. You have the Dam Rapid, with about a 10’ drop to a small slot between wrap rocks, and it is extremely hard to scout do to vedgetation. State Line Rapids are about 3 miles long of class 3-4, with potential for wrapping, very long and shallow, would be a reallly bad swim. Snaggeltooth can be a difficult one up stream. Not a lot of eddys, and camps can be challenging, since everything grows in during the years it does not run.

The Dolores is awesome , and there are some easier sections, but also plenty of stuff that would be scary as shit and possibly dangerous for an intermediate boater, and some of it is kinda remote.
matt man is offline   Reply With Quote