Smith River April 22 - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2019   #11

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMT0355:1:US

Not looking good. River is still frozen and not open.

Temporary Site Closure due to ice covering the river making it impassible. Boat camps are covered in 1-2 feet of snow. Staff will continue to monitor conditions.

SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019   #12

Hamilton, Montana
I would make back up plans. The entire area is under a winter storm watch.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 6.42.33 PM.png
Views:	45
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	33773  
MThikergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThikergirl View Post
I would make back up plans. The entire area is under a winter storm watch.

Looking at doing 3 days on the missouri and 2 days on the Lower Flathead as backup. SUCKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019   #14

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post
Looking at doing 3 days on the missouri and 2 days on the Lower Flathead as backup. SUCKS!
I wouldn't give up yet. I'd look for it to open in a few days, I'd guess they were waiting for a bump in flows to clear things out.

I just looked at the Eagle Creek gauge, it is currently at 1070 cfs... 880 at fort logan and 1240 at eden bridge... It's definitely not frozen! Nor has it been for the past week at least. The note on the FWP site hasn't been updated since late March. I seriously doubt that there is still 1-2 feet of snow at the camps. When the river closed, sure.... now, not likely at all. In the time since they posted that note the upper Gallatin went from frozen solid with 3-4 feet of ice in places to totally open - (at least to the Taylor's Fork) it's 2000 feet higher. The gallatin valley (same elevation essentially as camp baker) has lost virtually all it's snow, minus drifts and piles.
Old 04-10-2019   #15

Belgrade, Montana
I'd suggest everyone concerned should contact FWP and get them off their asses! I just did.
Old 04-10-2019   #16

Belgrade, Montana
Here's the response I just received.

Hello Brian,

Two of my rangers launched this morning to access the camps and damage to infrastructure. We flew it one week ago and there was a four mile stretch that was 75% ice covered, which we’re confident is now gone. There was also substantial snow and ice coverage in most camps, which is thawing but likely still somewhat saturated, as is Camp Baker which is currently too wet to allow camping or vehicle parking.

Based upon the rangers assessment, the tentative plan is to reopen on 4/15/19, with the likelihood that a few camps will remain closed due to ice (example: Upper Ridgetop landing was under 10 to 15 feet of ice). All permit holders have been notified through April 14.

Colin J. Maas
Park Manager, Region 4
Smith River and Sluice Boxes State Parks
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
Old 04-12-2019   #17

Eagle, Colorado
I got a call this morning from ranger saying it will open Monday the 15th, I have a April 18th permit but had something come up last minute and will not be able to go. I canceled this morning if anyone is interested in getting that permit, give them a call.
Troy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #18

Weather is looking much better in the forcast. The water levels are dropping. We are going! Fingers crossed that the forcast stays true. ANything in the 50s or better!

Any locals with eyes on?
Old 04-16-2019   #19

Billings, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
I know a group that launched this morning.
Mtsnowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #20

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post
Weather is looking much better in the forcast. The water levels are dropping. We are going! Fingers crossed that the forcast stays true. ANything in the 50s or better!

Any locals with eyes on?
That's asking a lot for this time of year.... be hoping it gets to the 50's. In more than a dozen trips before June 1, only one didn't see snow fall, that was April 10th put in a few years ago. Most were early to mid May.

Not trying to be a downer, just be mentally and physically prepared for colder weather.... it's spring time in the Rockies.... I'd wear two pairs of gloves...