Here's the response I just received.
Two of my rangers launched this morning to access the camps and damage to infrastructure. We flew it one week ago and there was a four mile stretch that was 75% ice covered, which we’re confident is now gone. There was also substantial snow and ice coverage in most camps, which is thawing but likely still somewhat saturated, as is Camp Baker which is currently too wet to allow camping or vehicle parking.
Based upon the rangers assessment, the tentative plan is to reopen on 4/15/19, with the likelihood that a few camps will remain closed due to ice (example: Upper Ridgetop landing was under 10 to 15 feet of ice). All permit holders have been notified through April 14.
Colin J. Maas
Park Manager, Region 4
Smith River and Sluice Boxes State Parks
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
"If you dont do it this year, you will be one year older when you do"