San Juan Section Options - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Nederland, Colorado
San Juan Section Options

Hello All!

We have another minor dilemma and it's a bit time sensitive, so I'm starting a new thread. We are currently scheduled for a 5 night trip from Mexican Hat to Clay Hills in less than two weeks. Our 5th night stay is at Slickhorn C. Flow is expected to be 3,000 - 4,000 CFS. From what I've read, this should mean we'll be moving right along.

I initially planned 5 nights because I assumed the flow wouldn't be this high. We're totally fine with doing a layover day though. We picked Mexican Hat to Clay Hills because that's what I was able to obtain when the unaccepted permits became available.

Our current plan is to car camp at Sand Island the night before and then drive to Mexican Hat the morning of launch day. We're now in a situation where we have the opportunity to launch one day earlier and do the entire Sand Island to Clay Hills Section. The only rub is that we wouldn't launch until late afternoon. We would still be able to keep our Slickhorn C site, but it would now be night 6.

So the options are:

A) Arrive at Sand Island mid-afternoon, car camp, drive to Mexican Hat the next day, and do 5 nights from Mexican Hat to Clay Hills
B) Arrive at Sand Island mid-afternoon, launch late afternoon, and float Sand Island to Clay Hills in 6 nights (taking out the same day as Option A).

Normally, one night wouldn't seem like enough additional time to add that entier section... but with a flow at 3,000-4,000 CFS, it seems this should be. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

RidgeLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Did a 5 day 4 night Mexican hat to clay hills early May. Water level was around 2500 and we averaged about three to four hours of float time a day without rowing at all and did a layover day. After slickhorn it really started to slow down and we did have minor issues with sand bars. That said we rowed out from Ojieto to the take out in 3 hours but we were actually putting in sticktime. But before that we cruised super fast. Would have been way to fast if we didnít do a layover.
Critter70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Ute City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would do option B. 6 nights is plenty of time. I've done it many times. We usually get past Mexican hat for night 2.
quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Ridgway, Colorado
B for sure.
rtsideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Nederland, Colorado
Thanks all! I have been keeping an eye on permit availability hoping it would work out this way. We were able to get a one night / two day Sand Island to Mexican Hat permit launching the day before our Mexican Hat to Clay Hills permit. We'll launch from Sand Island in the afternoon, camp a few miles downstream, then make a quick stop at Mexican Hat on day 2 to check in with the ranger for our MH->CH permit and then be on our way!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

idaho falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
We ran it at 11,000. Mexican hat to Clay hills. It took us 8 hours. I'd go with B
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Nederland, Colorado
What's the driftwood situation like on the San Juan? We're planning to bring some firewood, but wondering how prevalent driftwood will be for additional firewood.