Rogue River Lodge to Lodge - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-16-2019   #1

idaho falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
Rogue River Lodge to Lodge

We are planning a three day trip down the Rogue this summer. We were looking at staying our first night at Black Bar Lodge, and our second night at Paradise Lodge. Any recommendations? Hikes? Other Lodges? Shuttle?
My wife and I will be running a Aire Sabertooth with minimal gear and we appreciate any advise.

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019   #2

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Galice Resort for shuttle. Debbie does a good job.

From Paradise you can hike back up to Blossom Bar and hopefully watch some boaters go through.

I heard Black Bar Lodge has really good food.

When are you launching?

Three days is way too short to enjoy the Rogue.
OregonianRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #3

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonianRG View Post
Galice Resort for shuttle. Debbie does a good job.

From Paradise you can hike back up to Blossom Bar and hopefully watch some boaters go through.

I heard Black Bar Lodge has really good food.

When are you launching?

want to mention I would line past Rainy Falls, not try to run it.

You are right Oregonian on all your opinions in my opinion. I would add not going to see the giant red wood trees and the Gold coast while you are that close is a sin. It is a great river to read a book and wet a line on.
I'm launching Sept 23rd
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019   #4

idaho falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
We don't have a launch date yet, we are spending the month of July traveling around Oregon. With It only being the two of us I think we should get a permit sometime soon.
I would like to spend more time on the river, but we won't have our camping gear with us, and Lodges get expensive.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #5

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonianRG View Post
I've done the lodge trip several times. I've always made it a three-night, four-day trip. I've even done it in unison with hikers on the trail.

First Night: Black Bar. It's a wonderful throwback to the way things were in the days of Glen Wooldridge.

Second Night: I prefer Marial Lodge over Paradise. It is more personal. Paradise is too much like a roadside motel. I also like Half-Moon Bar, but it's on the wrong side of the river for hiking the RR Trail.

Third Night: Clay Hill Lodge. It's my wife's favorite. Comfortable and homey.

All of the lodges will give you dinner and breakfast, along with a packed lunch. Take your own adult beverages (except at Paradise or Half-Moon). Know your landmarks! I once met a group hiking from the bottom of Mule Creek Canyon back up to Marial Lodge because they blew past without seeing it.

And I second the recommendation of Galice Resort for the shuttle. They've never let me down.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #6

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I believe Clay Hill and Half Moon are closed. I would take Marial over Paradise. Black Bar is the only choice on that part of the river. You should contact the lodges now to see what dates they might have vacancies. Commercial trips keep them booked far in advance during most of the summer and fall, although you might luck out and squeeze in two people.
Old 04-16-2019   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
We’ve also stopped in at Galice for a dam good burger and a beer, before and after our trip “ where the middle of no where, is somewhere”!!

Man, if you could only pull off some kind of basic sleeping gear, it is cool as shit to drive down to gold beach, and watch the Rogue join the pacific, and watch seals playing in the whirlpools that form, where it joins the sea.

My two most memorable life moments, are probably that, and watching the sea otters off the coast at the mouth of the Columbia, and looking out the window of my Jeep in the morning, at a Hurd of elk wandering around on the sand beach.

Bet that is what I remember from life when I’m on my death bed.....
Old 04-16-2019   #8

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Besides my sentiments, I ran Middle Chute in Rainey, the one time I have been there. It was a little nuts, but the falls were nutzer, and the fish ladder was to low. Definitely a scout, and wakes ya up from your afternoon nap!!
Old 04-17-2019   #9
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
It would kind of suck to find vacancies at two or three lodges to make the trip work but then be unable to get a launch. With just two people, you might luck out day-of-show, but chances of getting a short notice reservation at a lodge if you pick up a cancellation aren't great.

That said, it's only a $20 investment to get two permits and then see if you can get the lodges. If not -- it's great camping for two if you ignore most of the camps on the map. The new map has more of the small camps.

We did a five-day one-boat two-person trip a couple years ago, and it was great. Super low key. Little tiny camps everywhere. I lied. We had two boats. One was a paddle board that came out the last couple days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camp for two.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	33935  
Will Amette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019   #10

Portland, Oregon
Half Moon Bar has new owners and will be open starting in July according to their web page http://www.halfmoonbarlodge.net
jbomb is offline   Reply With Quote