Rogue River Lodge to Lodge - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-18-2019   #11

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
Both Black Bar and Paradise are great lodging options on the Lower Rogue. The Rogue River trail (river right) provides access to hike back up-river through Mule Creek Canyon, if you end up staying at Paradise.

I also suggest stopping of at Zane Grey's cabin (Winkle Bar) and Anderson Ranch (at Mule Creek). These are easy stops along the way and are important sites relative to the history of the Lower Rogue. If you are adventurous, Tate Creek Slide is quite exciting.

Access the BLM webpage and download the Boaters Guide-it provides a great overview of the river, side hikes, and historical points of interest.

BlossomBarHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019   #12

Arnold, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonianRG View Post
Galice Resort for shuttle. Debbie does a good job.

Three days is way too short to enjoy the Rogue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post

+ 1 on the Galice shuttle. I launch from here as the section above the wilderness is nice, especially with decent flows. No reason to cut your day short and you have plenty of time to get where you’re going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonianRG View Post
Three days is way too short to enjoy the Rogue.
I've done the lodge trip several times. I've always made it a three-night, four-day trip. I've even done it in unison with hikers on the trail.

First Night: Black Bar. It's a wonderful throwback to the way things were in the days of Glen Wooldridge.

Second Night: I prefer Marial Lodge over Paradise. It is more personal. Paradise is too much like a roadside motel. I also like Half-Moon Bar, but it's on the wrong side of the river for hiking the RR Trail.

Third Night: Clay Hill Lodge. It's my wife's favorite. Comfortable and homey.

All of the lodges will give you dinner and breakfast, along with a packed lunch. Take your own adult beverages (except at Paradise or Half-Moon). Know your landmarks! I once met a group hiking from the bottom of Mule Creek Canyon back up to Marial Lodge because they blew past without seeing it.

And I second the recommendation of Galice Resort for the shuttle. They've never let me down.
I really like Black Bar & Marial. I could easily see blowing by either one if you don’t know where you’re at. Good luck coordinating he lodges & the permit - it’s a heck of a chore with the commercials keeping them booked.
Old 04-19-2019   #13

Jenks, Oklahoma
I took a raft guide school from Destination Wilderness and the Rogue was our multi day trip event. At Rainey Falls we took the fish ladder route right next to river right bank. Looks like it will not work, but it does. We took a loaded to the max gear boat and a bunch of 14 self bailers down the fish ladder with zero problems. All rowed by students but most had good river running skills. This was in the 90's so things may have changed.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019   #14

idaho falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks for all the info

We were able to join a group of folks going lodge to lodge. They have everything planned! First night Galise lodge, second night Black Bar, third night Marial, forth night Paradise. I can't wait!!!
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019   #15

Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
That will be fun. Galice is a fun place to spend the night in the summer. You can also extend the front end of that trip by floating from Hog Creek Boat Ramp to Galice (about 3 hrs on the river if stops are brief) or you could go a little further to Almeda (adds another 1 - 1.5 hrs). That section has a few fun splashy rapids.

On day 3 you will have a short float from Marial to Paradise. That might be a good morning to walk back up the trail from Marial Lodge to Rogue River Ranch and check out the little museum. You will still have plenty of time to get to Paradise plenty early.

Cool sites
day 1 - Whisky Cr. Cabin
day 2 - Battle Bar (river left), Winkle Bar/Zane Grey's Cabin (don't skip this one)
You could stop at Rogue River Ranch on day 2 just before Marial but the next day is only about 4 river miles between Marial and Paradise with not that much for side trips.
day 4 - Tate Cr. Falls/slide
Roguelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote