Rec.gov refunds - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Banff, alberta
Rec.gov refunds

So I guess driving into the US is outta the question, so that puts a major wrench in the gears for an April 6 Deso..... super bummed. my dad ( Retired, Military) were lookin forward to catching up. Not to mention my frozen ass leaving the Canadian Rockies to get some warmth. Just wondering if you guys know if BLM is issuing any kind of refund for cancelations inside 30 days, due to the circumstances.

gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Moab, Utah
Westwater Canyon Permits and Refunds

The Moab BLM Office is offering refunds (not including the $6.00 reservation fee) of Westwater permits that are cancelled due to the current circumstance.
This applies to all trips through the end of April. We will re-evaluate the situation weekly.

If you would like a refund, please contact the office at 435-259-2100.

Just a reminder, overnight trips are currently not allowed, but day trips through the canyon are still an option.

Thanks
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Thank you Moab Field Office.

Do you know the rationale behind no camping, but allowing daytrips?

Trying to limit staff exposure and dissuade people from traveling farther distances who are attracted to overnights? (I'm not in your area, just generally curious...and whether you're having to make these decisions locally or if they're coming from your regional offices..or DC....and if DC assuming similar decisions will have an impact on my local FS-administered rivers)
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Moab, Utah
Westwater Canyon Questions

The "no overnight" use in Westwater Canyon is coming from the Southeastern Utah Health Department Order SEUD 2020-02. See sections 3 and 7 for concerns that impact public lands.

Thanks for the question.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Banff, alberta
Thanks for the reply
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Thank you Moab Field Office.

Do you know the rationale behind no camping, but allowing daytrips?
I emailed with the ranger that posted this info. Apparently it's local ordinances that all the places are closed, including hotels and camping. So they have to go by that. Even though it's BLM land, the counties still have jurisdiction with ordinances.

Also, the refund policy may not apply to other rivers. Try contacting the particular river office with jurisdiction over your respective permits.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLM_Moab View Post
The "no overnight" use in Westwater Canyon is coming from the Southeastern Utah Health Department Order SEUD 2020-02. See sections 3 and 7 for concerns that impact public lands.

Thanks for the question.
Thank you for the quick response!!

As Andy noted below, it's helpful to know how/where the decisions are being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
I emailed with the ranger that posted this info. Apparently it's local ordinances that all the places are closed, including hotels and camping. So they have to go by that. Even though it's BLM land, the counties still have jurisdiction with ordinances.

Also, the refund policy may not apply to other rivers. Try contacting the particular river office with jurisdiction over your respective permits.

-AH
Understood. Cheers!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Anyone have any luck getting refunds from Rec.gov for the San Juan?

We cancelled our trip for this week because of covid-19. This is the message they have on Rec.gov under my reservation:

Due to high cancellation demand and extraordinary circumstances, limited refunds will be temporarily offered for San Juan River permits that are cancelled less than 31 days before the entry date (the standard refund deadline). Trips with entry dates of April 23,2020 or earlier must cancel their trips by Tuesday, March 24, 2020 to receive a refund. Cancel your trip and then submit a refund request through your recreation.gov account.

The problem I have is that I cannot get to the 'Request Refund' option. I have chatted with the Rec.gov people and they can't help and the BLM is not answering. Just wondering if anyone has been able to get a San Juan refund to process.
Thanks,
KR
king kong kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Camas, Washington
Paddling Since: 1978
Hello, We got a full refund for a San Juan trip that was scheduled to launch 3/25. Called the Monticello BLM, they cancelled our reservation, then I got a notice from rec.gov that the refund was on the way. And it did indeed arrive in my account. My understanding is that if you cancel the reservation online, they will automatically refund. Good luck.
nlv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Santa Fe, New Mexico
nlv5- Thanks for the tip. I called the BLM office this morning and left a message with my reservation number. Got a notice from Rec.gov a couple of hours later. So it sounds like BLM must have to approve the refund.
king kong kev is offline   Reply With Quote