Rafting the Klamath - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Camas, Washington
Paddling Since: 1993
Rafting the Klamath

Hey all - haven't rafted anything south of the Rogue and looking for a river that is manageable for a 14 foot raft for 1 or 2 days. I have heard that the Klamath has awful foam and can have cyanobacteria issues and wanted to see what info is out there for doing this trip in August or September. Would appreciate any feedback or advice - thanks!!

Joerr12273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2011
I personally don't think its terrible.
If you get down below Happy Camp it tends to help.
I'd give it a go, we love it down there, for our family it's great! We love the Rogue as well but the Klammy is a good back up or change of pace.

Have fun!
Ruger9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Camas, Washington
Thanks! I'm trying to figure out if the upper is too burly for the folks going so don't know if you have any experience with the upper section -- sounds like the lower is a lot more chill than the upper but not sure how it compares to other rivers...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
I prefer the Klamath over the Rogue.
Yeah, the water is brown, but I don't think it's any nastier than the Rogue.
It's a nice 2-3 day float.
Plenty of spots to put-in and take-out. Nice scenery, good camps. And there really isn't much traffic on the highway.
I don't think I've ever seen more than one or two other boats on any of my trips.
The water gets low, and slow by late summer.
And it can be HOT!!! down there. Was 112 in Somes Bar the day I took out a few years ago!!

You really need solid class IV+ skills to run the Upper Klamath.
The lower is mostly a class III river.
Ben
BenSlaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Fieldbrook, California
Paddling Since: 1995
I learned to row on the Klamath from Happy Camp to Dillon Creek. The only real rapid of consequence is Dragons Tooth which has a technical move at most flows. Aside from that, it's fun class 2/3. You can float pretty much from the I-5 down to the Salmon confluence. Just remember that you have to take out above Ishi Pishi Falls, which is rated as a class 5 but more importantly is a culturally significant spot for the local tribes. You can put in below there for the Ikes section and could go all the way to the ocean if you wanted. Below Orleans the rapids become mostly class 2 and pretty spread out.

On my guide school the river was about 8k so the technical move at Dragons Tooth was gone and replaced with a mackin big hole. And there were some gigantic wave trains too. You know it's legit when the paddle boat instructor stands up to look at an approaching rapid then tells the student "Uhh, you better move and let me take this one."
Melvinboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Camas, Washington
Thank you all for the help!