Rafting near Park City - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1

Hermiston, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2017
Rafting near Park City

My family And I will be in Park city next Wednesday through Sunday and I was wondering if there are any good rafting opportunities there that would make it worthwhile to bring my raft from Oregon. I have a 16 foot oar frame raft and a 16 foot cataraft. Looking at the rivers around there, are these too big to be worthwhile?

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

Guerrillaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
The creeks and rivers are low volume... better suited for kayaking. I've boated several sections on both the Logan and Weber rivers (glad to be in a kayak, I would not raft them). It is a four hour drive to get to good rafting. It is a four hour drive up to West Table to Sheep Gulch. Alpine canyon (Snake river) is ton of fun. Pool and drop class III. Take a surfboard for Lunchcounter.

Westwater on the colorado is too high for someone unfamiliar with the lines (also a four hour drive).

Four hour drive to Gates of Ladore and similar drive to other epic multiday trips. But these require permits.

You should run Alpine canyon. The water is cold. It comes out of the bottom of grassy lake reservoir. Do your kids have wetsuits?

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/c...detail/id/2472
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Rent duckies and paddle the Weber.
BGillespie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Boating near PC

Try getting a weekday permit for the Green River through Split Mountain in Dinosaur National Monument. While it's not really close (180 miles 3.75 hrs drive east on Hwy 40) it is a nice high volume float right now at 17,000cfs. A big water class III at these levels. It is also a very scenic canyon. Very worth the drive at these flows. Permits can be obtained through Recreation. gov. It's a long day, but you can do the drive and the trip in 1 day. Or stay an extra day and see more of the Monument. It should be a National Park.
Happy Boating!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5

Maybe try the Jordan River 30-40 miler
Johnzstz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
If you go to do Split Mtn give Moonshine Rapid a lot of respect(scouting strongly suggested). It flips a lot of boats, even 16'ers during high water.

If you do go to Split Mtn you will visit one of the most spectacular places on the planet.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7

Hermiston, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2017
Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like my visit to Park City has turned into rafting Deso with a fellow buzzer and extending my vacation by a week!
Guerrillaman is online now   Reply With Quote