Portland bachelor party - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2019   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Portland bachelor party

My buddy is having his bachelor party in mid/late June and I suggested rafting (with CO/UT or CA in mind). Alas he has decided he wants to go to Portland...which I know very little about. When I think of Oregon I think of epic multi-day trips - but alas I'm going with a bunch of city slickers who are not willing to shit in a bucket, so a day trip it is .

I'm a former guide (mostly on oars though) and would prefer the rental/shuttle route to spend less versus going on a guided trip @ $70/person. My limitations would probably be the Upper Clackamas (III+/IV-). I wouldn't want to do anything a whole lot less exciting than that.

The White Salmon and Sandy look a lot more intriguing to me, but both seem like a much bigger logistical challenge than the Upper Clackamas. I also like the idea of commercial traffic as another layer of safety, which is nice to have although I don't plan to rely on it.

What other options are close to Portland that are worth looking further into? What will still be flowing well and fun around June 21st?

TIA

cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019   #2

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
The Clack will probably be getting a bit low at that point. There will be water but it tends to get bony and not very splashy below about 1,200--for rafters at least. Goodwater Boatworks is a potential source for rentals; I don't know what they need from you as far as bonafides go.

If you don't have much experience paddle guiding, I wouldn't try the White Salmon. It is a very fast and technical stream without good options for scouting. Plus, the guides often make Husum Falls look easy but beware, it's trounced a lot of us over the years.

You won't find any commercial traffic on the Sandy. The Gorge run---the classic one--is too committing and difficult for your group. It would also be too low.

Going out the the Deschutes would make for a long day driving but would offer you affordable rentals, good weather and fun class III white water. The Maupin day stretch is what you want. All kinds of underexperienced noobs survive it every year.

I would strongly recommend a commercial trip on the White Salmon. It is a really fun river and extremely beautiful. The plunge over the falls is pretty wild. They have some affordable options for half days and combined with some hiking or sightseeing in the Columbia gorge would make for a great day for anyone.

Good luck!
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
With the date rapidly approaching I'm hoping to make a reservation soon here.

I noticed the companies each claim to have "the highest upstream launch", do they all launch from the same point and terminate after running Husum?

As far as post rafting lunch/beer is White Salmon or Hood River the better town to hit?
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmidt1023 View Post
My buddy is having his bachelor party in mid/late June and I suggested rafting (with CO/UT or CA in mind). Alas he has decided he wants to go to Portland...which I know very little about.
Thinking you need to buy flannel and skinny jeans, grow out your beard, buy some non-prescription glasses, and ride around on fixies to trendy coffees shops. Maybe PBR's afterward.

Don't get me wrong, Portland is great...but for a bachelor party? Maybe you should secure an invite to the Bachelorette party!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Wet Planet Whitewater is the outfitter to go with on the White Salmon. As far as post trip hooting, Hood River, on the waterfront, is probably your best bet.
Bigwaterforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
Dude Its your buddys BIG DAY it will only happen once (or 3 times, as some statistics now show for your generation) Buck up and Call Todd and Yako at Planet White Water, they are on the white salmon, explain yourself (i'm a washed up guide that doesn't want to spend a lot to take my manicured friends down an awesome river) let them laugh a little, then ask if they can get you guys on the WIND river (maybe being an x-guide will help) or some stretch of the White Salmon. The White Salmon goes from kind of fun to holly shit what did we get into.
flite is offline   Reply With Quote