Paddle/Safetly Talks Topics - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-17-2019   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Paddle/Safetly Talks Topics

Before my trips I like to give a paddle/safety talk to go over the plan for the day, some of the issues we might have and what to do if things go wrong. I don't want to spend a ton of time preaching to everyone on the trip and "laying down the law" but I find that if set expectations eary the trip seems to go well and everyone know what is expected of them.

I want to hear what other poeple go over and how they handle this process. I have an overnighter this weekend and it is ther first of the year and working on getting back in the swing of river life.

Happy padedeling and thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019   #2

Denver, Colorado
Interested in what you do as well, no one likes the sit and get, but it's important stuff.
Where's your overnight? We have one as well. Leaving tomorrow and float Friday and Saturday, Loma to Westwater.
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019   #3
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Depends on the make-up of the trip and the water for the day.

Kids (and I make sure parents are watching as well) always get at least a quick reminder on whistles, basic hand signals, and white water swim position. We always discuss camps and scouts as well. Even when I am on trips with salty and surly old boatmen, they hear it as well so they know what the kids are hearing and there isn't any confusion at exactly the wrong time. I haven't ever boated with anyone who had a problem with this and I'd think really hard about boating with them if they did.

I usually do the big one before launch on a multiday and daily briefings happen after everyone is in their PFD's and ready to push off. That way no one is distracted by the million other things going on and they are in "boat mode."
MontanaLaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019   #4

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseim View Post
Interested in what you do as well, no one likes the sit and get, but it's important stuff.
Where's your overnight? We have one as well. Leaving tomorrow and float Friday and Saturday, Loma to Westwater.
I am working on an outline now and will post shortly, we are headed to Westwater and going to float to Hittle Bottom.
Old 04-17-2019   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I heard once that 80% of injuries on river trips happen on shore or in camp. That's something that should be covered. For my trips I also have a rule of no bare feet in camp to minimize stumped toes and cut feet. This is especially important with kids.

One thing to stress is to use the buddy system and the need to be conservative on hikes, bouldering, and other activities we don't think much about when the car is a few minutes away. If someone does get hurt and need to be evac'd they may have a day or three of a painful boat riding to get to a hospital, or require a chopper. Low risk+high consequences=don't risk it. There's also the impact on the rest of the group to consider.

The safety talk is a standard part of daily river life and everyone should be fine with it. It's important that the newbies aren't the only ones receiving the talk.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019   #6

Denver, Colorado
This is my outline that I use for trips, this was written for a GC trip so not everthing applys for every trip. I use it as a general guideline and then tweak it depending on the river, run and water level.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Safety-Paddle Talk.pdf (59.6 KB, 90 views)
Old 04-17-2019   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I’ll ad actual paddle safety, since it’s what the name of the thread first made me think of.
I used to introduce this when I was a raft guide, as the concept of “ Summer teeth”.
“Some of yer teeth are in your mouth, some-r are in the boat, some-r in the bottom of the river, cause some-one didn’t cover there T-grip, and punched them out for you!”
Then I would put the responsibility on the person sitting across from there paddling partner, to remind them, when they didn’t keep there hand on there
T-grip.

I sure was clever back then...
Old 04-17-2019   #8

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The Ranger for our last GC check in, stressed the injury’s being most common near shore, and presented handing things off from boats, as opposed to climbing off your boat with an armload of shit, and then eating shit, as one very good way to decrease those injuries.
Always been my preferred method, and a great talking point about working together to get everyone unloaded, first, before they people change, pick out a tent site, go jerk off, set up the kitchen, fly there kite, set up the fire pan, drop acid, or light the campsite on fire.
Old 04-18-2019   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspoon14 View Post
This is my outline that I use for trips, this was written for a GC trip so not everthing applys for every trip. I use it as a general guideline and then tweak it depending on the river, run and water level.

That's a very good comprehensive talk.

Seems like I get a lot of newbies on my boat for Lochsa runs, so I go over a general river safety talk, and it's a good review for old salts:

Similar for hand signals and whistle signals. Always point safe.

Swimming: will usually be in the pool after the rapid, swim aggressively to the boat. If you're in the rapid, feet up and downstream.

Getting back in the boat: pull the shoulder straps. Swimmer should dolphin kick/seal glide back and help get themselves back into the boat. If your legs are vertical down in the water, that's a good way for your feet to get entrapped or your arms to get ripped off.

Running order, boat spacing, kayak safety (usually lead), and sweep boats.

Boat crew:
I'm the boss, do what I say, don't paddle if I don't say paddle. I'll do most of the work, but need you for power in the rapids.

I appreciate your "What if we have an emergency" section. I need to work that in.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #10

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
our rules

rule #1: stay in the boat
rule #2: if you fall out of the boat, get back in the boat
rule #3: be an active participant in your own rescue
ajacobo is offline   Reply With Quote