MFS rooky questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
MFS rooky questions

Launching early July and no one in our group have done MFS before.

Buggy? One can of bug spray sufficient?
How far do you have to lift boat to ramp or can you slide off trailer on to it?
How many feet of rope needed to lower boat down ramp?

Been trying to get on this river for 30 years, FINALLY going to make it.

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Boise, ID
Paddling Since: '99
Can be buggy but not bad. I've never used an entire can of bug spray on a MF trip.
Camps like Fire Island and others have some marshy areas in depressions behind camp so ask the ranger when you're drawing straws for camps.

You can slide a boat off a trailer to the ramp but there's usually a shit show of people trying to rig right around the ramp so it can be hard to get a trailer backed up. There's plenty of people to help lift boats. Best advice-rig off to the side or on trailers out of the way of the ramp. Get a place in line and be efficient. Have your whole group ready to get boats on at the same time. Help the outfitters lift boats and they will help you. Have the trip requirements ready-each boat driver with their invasive tag by their boat, strainer, pan, fire blanket, groover, etc in one place so the ranger can check you off. No boats on the ramp until the ranger says go.

If you plan on having your boat loaded, the rope is more for safety than lowering. You may have to have people drag it down the ramp depending on how heavy it is. I can't remember exact length but I want to say 110' or so. Someone will have to confirm that.

Congrats! It's a fun trip.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
It's normally just a bit buggy up top the first two nights or so, not bad generally. You don't need a rope to lower your boat if you have enough people to pull down on the frame (friction slows the boat) then have someone jump in and ride the last 30ft or so and be ready to row into the eddy. Also, if you do lower your raft down a 75' throw rope is not long enough, ask me how I know.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Tip of the day: Avoid the urge to slide the raft down the ramp too quickly - aside from the relatively easy task of swimming across the river to retrieve it, the biggest concern (aside from safety) is you can MELT slide marks/grooves in the PVC based rafts due to friction/weight/speed of decent.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
By July the bugs might not be bad at all. June 13 launch - they were a small hassle at Boundary and a little noticeable the next couple nights. Not too bad past Indian, but one night drove someone sleeping on a cot nuts enough he got up and put up a tent. I think they liked him because I hardly noticed.

We had about 104' of line, and it was just barely enough. Bring a brake. Our group had an 8-ring, but it's hard on lines. Bring leather gloves. We had one last raft show up day-of-launch, and we borrowed a Black Diamond brake from another party -- worked fine.

There will be plenty of people to help hoist boats over to the ramp. You don't have to LIFT up to the ramp -- it's at ground level. Slide it up to the edge where the slope starts, then load the last heavy things (water, fire pan, kitchen box, etc). Lower it down. Hop in if you like, but if your line is long enough, you don't need to. The commercials (and some privates) just walk it down without a safety line. If there's another group that needs help lifting a boat, help them. They'll appreciate it.

Try not to clog up the process. Tempers can arise, especially if it's hot. If someone seems irritated, apologize and explain the situation. They will probably realize you aren't in the way, offer some help, and then you can return the favor. I was pleased with all the GOOD attitudes we encountered, private and commercial, getting everyone's boats in the water.

If you have a larger group, remember you only have a maximum of four rafts wide along the beach. Stack them farther out. We had only four boats in the eddy, but it was pretty crowded with maybe 35 boats. I went down to check 'em in the evening and asked a commercial group if they had enough room in the eddy -- I was going to move my boat if they didn't. They asked it if would be ok, since they already did, tie off their gear boat outside of ours since they'd be off EARLY. We were waiting on a late arrival, so I told them it was fine. Really good folks up there.

CLEAN DRAIN and DRY. We didn't pass a boat inspection on the way in, but someone coming in through North Fork did. We got an inspection coming back in to Oregon. My boat was caked with mud from the road to North Fork, but they didn't mind that. I was pleasantly surprised.

The water system was not operational at Boundary -- bring water.

Videos of another group lowering a boat. I would have worn a PFD and sure would have put one on the kid.
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...
This video is currently processing...
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
There were some skeeter & gnats when I was there 2 weeks ago. Will be more as the weather warms. Also had some ticks, too. Will definitely be horseflies by July.
I think 130 feet of rope gives you some extra, to swing into the eddy. The ramp was pretty sticky this spring but sometimes they wax it to make it faster....
Have a great trip!
Ben
BenSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Been trying to get on this river for 30 years, FINALLY going to make it.
C’mon man, congrats and all that but you must not have tried very hard for those 30 years???!

I get that it is fairly plenty fucked now with rec.gov, sites like this and the spawning salmon bs but it used to be pretty easy to pick up cancelled permits with a phone call before the interwebs messed it all up.

Crap, I got a early August launch within the first couple months of touching a pair of oars and owning my first raft in 2001. And there was a handful of dates I could choose from,too.

Those days are gone but 10,15,20+ years ago...pretty easy pickings for people who could operate a phone.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

Crap, I got a early August launch within the first couple months of touching a pair of oars and owning my first raft in 2001. And there was a handful of dates I could choose from,too.

Those days are gone but 10,15,20+ years ago...pretty easy pickings for people who could operate a phone.

1st trip on MF was our honeymoon in '94 early August launch date with a commercial outfitter. We were bringing our own boat - canoe- and the FS made us get a permit to deadhead down to Thomas Creek accompanied with one of the guides a day before the official launch date. Had to carry all our gear along with fire pan, etc. We were driving cross country calling 3 times a day, and picked one up on second day.

2nd MF trip was our 10 yr anniversary, went with same outfitter and another couple also paddling canoes. This time we deadheaded in to Indian Creek with all the outfitters empty rafts and sweep and FS just had us prove we were actual paying clients. And the rafts carried our gear

3rd MF was 2 years later in "06, and had our option for a couple cancel dates.

First 2 trips no critter problems, '06 trip the bears were starting to make an appearance.

Yes those were the good ole days . . .
kanoer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Thanks that answers all my questions
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Congrats Big Horn! I will be putting on the 1st, might see you up there!
( 8 days). Sounds like everyone covered it pretty good, the only thing helpful I could add, is that pulling straight down on the boat is the best way to break, and slow things down.
Have a great trip!