Main Salmon: Corn Creek to Spring Bar - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-21-2019   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Main Salmon: Corn Creek to Spring Bar

Happy Easter Buzzards! Was lucky enough to score a Main permit. From poking around, it sounds like we can add in an extra day on the trip with the additional 13+ miles from Carey Creek boat ramp and take out at Spring Bar. Does anyone have any feedback on the following:

*Camping below Carey Creek (boater traffic, quality of sites, other?) in the uncontrolled/non-permitted section?

*Rapids below Carey Creek? Couple of other threads indicate Vinegar and Carey are class II. Nothing else really to consider?

*Any reason NOT to consider adding in the extra mileage/day?

We have the time to add in the extra day and we'd love to make this trip a bit longer if possible, but have not run this river before and wanted to get some more information before deciding. Thanks!

markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019   #2

McCall, Idaho
Go for the extra day! Camp sites are plentiful and awesome. Boat traffic should not be an issue. Rapids are easily scout-able, but nothing too hairy and the road is right along the river if you have any trouble. You could add 1 MORE day and go all the way to Shorts Bar or the Riggins boat ramp. I'll be on the Main at the end of August and that's what we are planning.
Idaho_ski_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #3

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_ski_bum View Post
Go for the extra day! Camp sites are plentiful and awesome.
You mean you'd rather float those 13 miles than drive a bumpy, dusty, crowded road ? Crazy.
jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jge1 View Post
You mean you'd rather float those 13 miles than drive a bumpy, dusty, crowded road ? Crazy.
Meaning that the take out at CC is down a dusty, crowded, and bumpy road?
markfortcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #5

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfortcollins View Post
Meaning that the take out at CC is down a dusty, crowded, and bumpy road?
Yeah. I was being sarcastic. I've only done this run once and we floated down to Riggins (Spring Bar) and I'd do that again.
jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #6

Ft jones, United States
Paddling Since: 1985
What time of year are you going? By August, that last bit of water is pretty slow.
I would still encourage you to do it, a few nice rapids, and nice camps. But it can add a full day.
The only traffic concern would be on a weekend...

Ben
BenSlaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019   #7

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
If you have time do it, go to Spring bar, Shorts bar, Riggins or Lucille depending on the time you have available. Even with the road it is a beautiful float with lots of big beaches for camping. If you really have time keep going down the Lower.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #8

McCall, Idaho
The road is not that bad. It's narrow and dusty for sure, but as far as roads in the mountains go it's pretty acceptable. Not 4x4 high clearance vehicle required kind of stuff. Also, catch the hot spring across from French creek if it's not hotter than hell already. It's a short hike. River right.
Idaho_ski_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #9

carmen, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1988
I've gone down to Spring Bar twice - most recently in late September last year at very low water. It was no problem and there are plenty of good camp sites on river right. The rapids are interesting but not difficult. Regarding Vinegar Rapid - it is above the Carey Creek takeout and is one of the biggest rapids on the Main Salmon at any water level. My friends and I will always go on down to Spring Bar from now on. Cheers!
nolichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Ifin you are a rock climber and like some splitter finger and hand cracks there are a few sweet routes along the lower river section around the old wooden bridge crossing as well (pm for details), another reason to stick around for an extra day.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote