Lower (Lower) John Day River, Oregon - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Eastside, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Lower (Lower) John Day River, Oregon

Folks,

Thinking of the following trip: Put in at Cottonwood Bridge, take out at Rock Creek or McDonald Crossing. Never done it, have found only minimal info in surfing the web.
I know its supposed to be tame for rapids, but can anyone tell me what the camps are like? Condition of the take-outs? Fishing? etc, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Koffler

Koffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2

Eugene, Oregon
We have floated from Cottonwood to McDonald's Ferry a couple of times. I would have to say it is my least favorite section of the John Day. The camps are not the greatest by any means. Both times we floated it we camped two nights. The upside is that there are usually much fewer people. The small-mouth fishing is just as good as the rest of the river. The take out at McDonald ferry is pretty crappy. It is a fairly steep dirt ramp. As long as you have 4x4 you will be fine. I think the last time we floated it was probably 5 years ago. Let me know if you have any questions.
bulltrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3

Eastside, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Bulltrout--

Thanks for the info! Question on the take out-- from my looking around, I can't tell where the take out is exactly: at the Rock Creek picnic area? Or downstream by the toilet at McDonald Crossing???

Koffler
Koffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Eugene, Oregon
The takeout is down at McDonald Ferry, on river left just past the private residence.
bulltrout is offline   Reply With Quote