Low-Flow on Main Salmon? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2019   #1

Low-Flow on Main Salmon?

We are launching Sept 13 on the Main Salmon. Levels look super low. Would rain affect this level and bring it up?
-does the Lower salmon hold water better?
I have heard the main is never to low is this true?
Main vs Lower salmon in Low water.. thoughts.
We are all planned for the main but im wondering if we will be hitting rocks the whole time.

wharf-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
main is pretty much never too low. You won't be hitting rocks much at all. The only downside to the lower flows is that the "salmon lake" stretch can be a chore with low, slow flows...especially if the afternoon upriver winds are blowing (and they almost always are). So plan on splitting that section up or getting through it in one big push by starting really early and suffering through the afternoon.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #3

ok, thanks
Which is the best way to see the river level on the Main from Corn to Carey

-Salmon river level at Whitebird or Salmon river level Shoup?
wharf-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2019   #4

carmen, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1988
We ran the Main last year the last week in September at the lowest levels of the year and it was fine. There was one rapid that was somewhat rocky (I can't remember which one). I do remember Vinegar being way different than I had ever seen it. We ran it on river left. We ran in to some "Cast and Blasters" several times but didn't see many other people. We took out at Spring Bar which adds about 13 river miles of interesting scenery and several fun rapids.
nolichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #5

carmen, Idaho
Yu need to add the Main at Shoup plus the Middle Forkat Shoup. It is a little confusing in that the confluence is quite a ways below Shoup.
Old 08-08-2019   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharf-rat View Post
ok, thanks
Which is the best way to see the river level on the Main from Corn to Carey

-Salmon river level at Whitebird or Salmon river level Shoup?

Call the North fork ranger district. They super friendly, they tell you the level on the corn creek ramp and the water temp. 208-865-2700
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019   #7

salmon, Idaho
I have ran it at -28 inches. there was a rock that emerged on the left run of blacks creek rapid that you dont want to hit. that was 4 years ago and blacks creek is still evolving every year when the ice flows and high water go out.
Old 08-08-2019   #8

salmon, Idaho
The only 2 rocky spots that I remember at all where little stinker, that is right below five mile and split rock. and the rapid that is right below elk horn. I cant remember the name.. We took a right run on vinegar.
Old 08-09-2019   #9

Littleton, Colorado
Does anyone have a sense of how fast the river moves on "average" at lower flows? 3 mph+/-?? We launch the 22nd of August, planning 5 nights / 6 days and tentatively longer days in the first half (16-20 miles), to allow for some shorter days in the Salmon Lake section. Bringing the kids and wondering if we have some all day row-fests ahead of us? Only other time I ran The Main was at 8.5-feet in 3 short days and imagine it will be a "little" slower this time.
Thanks!
fastfish17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019   #10

carmen, Idaho
I ran the Main in 4 days in late July 2003 right after the Cramer Creek blowout. We went on several hikes and soaked in Barth Hot Spring. One very long day which included the lake but not bad at all. 6 days should be no problem. I have never tried to figure average current flows because their are so many variables. Enjoy!