Mountain Buzz banner

Join your Ruby-Horsethief Camp 6/13 or 14?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Paco 
#1 ·
Hail Mary!

Hoping to join someone's Ruby Horsethief camping permit for Saturday 6/13 or Sunday 6/14, just me and a special lady. I'm taking her down Westwater on Monday, but would love to make it a 3 day trip by floating Ruby on Sunday, just need somewhere to sleep legally.

I'd love it if someone would let us crash off in the distance at their camp, we wouldn't even have to float with you - I just am not going to be that guy that camps illegally these days and am hoping to pull a cool trip together for the missus!

#3 ·
Thanks for your help!

I was hoping to camp further down if we camped in Ruby on Sunday night, because I have a Monday Westwater launch and thought I’d like to be there early enough to have a good choice of camp for Monday night.

I didn’t want to have to just push all the way through Ruby, as I’ve never seen it, but how quickly do y’all think I could drive a boat from Beavertail to the Westy ramp?

I guess to clarify, I’d love to join a camp on Saturday anywhere, or Sunday night within a few hours River time of the Westy ramp!

#4 ·
Depends how motivated you are. If you don't mind getting up early, I think you'd have no problem.
2 person trip, you should be able to rig quickly. If I were trying to do it, I'd probably shoot to get on the river by 6, and be okay with it if I was floating by 7. Floating breakfast? No wind that time of day, river will be up.
I don't think you'd have any problem being at Westwater by noon. And you'd roll up rigged, check with the ranger and get a campsite before the folks who are sprawled on the ramp waiting for their buddies to finish the shuttle.

You could book beavertail, and keep watching for a cancellation to pop up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.