John Day River mainstem moving to recreation.gov - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Eastside, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
John Day River mainstem moving to recreation.gov

Folks,

In case you haven't seen this, look at attachment.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/c_hyland/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png[/IMG]
This has been needed for awhile (controlling number of people on the river.)..........but of course the BLM gives no rationale for the # of permits they have decided to issue. And we all know what a joy recreation.gov is.

I would encourage you to e-mail the Prineville BLM office:

[email protected]

.........and ask them to show the data (on their website) they have gathered over the years on boat numbers, time of year, # of people, etc etc.
Right now, this is just a "big black box" in my opinion.

Koffler
Attached Files
File Type: pdf John Day River moving to recreation.gov.pdf (391.6 KB, 48 views)

Koffler is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Iíve floated it for the last four years. Put in on the same weekend every year. Iíve only every seen one other group that was putting in at the same time we were. Iíve been passed maybe once while on the river by another group. I can count the number of other groups Iíve seen on the river in those four years on both hands.

Maybe we go when nobody else does??
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #3

Covington, Washington
Paddling Since: 2000
Given my luck in the 4 rivers, kind of bummed to hear that there is yet another permit gamble to partake in.....
hammer131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5 Days Ago   #4
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Unfortunately, its a day late (or many years late) and many dollars short to complain now. The process to set a seasonal daily limited permit system on some reaches of the John Day was decided many years ago. All of the information was evaluated in an Environmental Assessment by the BLM to comply with the NEPA process. The EA process was the time to make public comments, but that was years and years ago. Then the BLM developed their online permit system, but that never worked so for the last many years you needed a permit, but it was not limited entry because their system couldn't handle the internet traffic. So they migrated to Recreation.gov to finally implement the seasonal limited entry system. I agree with you that it is unnecessary. There were many options available to the BLM to deal with the potential for camp crowding besides a limited entry system. During the EA public comment period, I wrote a long detailed letter with analysis of the user data and recommended different alternatives. All I got back was a "thank you for your comments". Unfortunately, the system is in place now and will probably never be eliminated.
in the great words of the BLM, who ever these ass holes are that we hire to managed our resrouces - Thank you for your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffler View Post
Folks,

In case you haven't seen this, look at attachment.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/c_hyland/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png[/IMG]
This has been needed for awhile (controlling number of people on the river.)..........but of course the BLM gives no rationale for the # of permits they have decided to issue. And we all know what a joy recreation.gov is.

I would encourage you to e-mail the Prineville BLM office:

[email protected]

.........and ask them to show the data (on their website) they have gathered over the years on boat numbers, time of year, # of people, etc etc.
Right now, this is just a "big black box" in my opinion.

Koffler
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #5

Los Anchorage, Alaska
We floated this last year. There were 30 cars in the service lot, 50 cars in the Clarno lot and 80 in the Cottonwood lot. People were stacked on top of each other at camps and every single camp had a fire ring in it. As much as dealing with permits sucks this river badly needed it.
wfinley is online now   Reply With Quote