John Day mid June predictions and other multiday family trip suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 04-14-2019   #1

Reno, Nevada
Paddling Since: 96'
John Day mid June predictions and other multiday family trip suggestions

I saw that Eastern OR has a decent snowpack this year, I am looking at floating the JD 6/17-24. I know its a bit early to tell but any beta on june flow predictions would be appreciated.

We are thinking that Clarno to cottonwood.

Thanks

deeznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019   #2
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
some to a bejezus load of water is the current prediction,
by the way the JD at Service Creek gage had the 3rd highest flow on record recorded since 1926 this last week. There is quite a bit more than a "decent" snow pack in the JD basin this year. I believe the official characterization is De-e-e-cent!

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019   #3

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Ive never seen it as high as it was last week! Never...

That said, lots of variables that go into predicting the JD flow. Temperature being number one. Its been a pretty cool spring so far. Id think youd be fine that week in June, but definitely towards the end of it.
Looks at water levels two years for that time frame. Snow pack wasnt as good as it is now. We floated Service Creek to the house, about a mile upstream of Twickenham, around the Fourth of July that year at abput 800 cfs. Water dropped like a rock after that week.
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote