Interested in a February Grand Canyon trip? - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

, Maine
Interested in a February Grand Canyon trip?

I have a February 15th launch date, 24 days to Pearce Ferry. Looking for two more oarsmen or women... Let me know!

jackvorster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 4 Days Ago   #2

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
Damn I wish the NPS would let you do multiple trips in a year. I have a march 5th trip and that would be a perfect back to back if i ditched you guys at Diamond and drove back to Lee's to launch the next day. Oh well. Did you try the Facebook page for Grand Canyon Trip participants wanted? Seems like a lot more traffic there even though facebook sucks ass. Have a great trip!!
flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Days Ago   #3

, Maine
Bummer indeed! And yup, I am on the Facebook group as well... Was trying a different approach from the masses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 4 Days Ago   #4

, Maine
More details

I have received some advice on my post... Here are some more details about the trip:

The launch date is February 15th, 24 days on the river, pulling out at Pearce Ferry. We are going with Moenkopi Riverworks for our outfitter. As of right now, the trip cost is ~$1,2500 per person (that includes gear, food and a place to stay before and after the trip, but it does not include a dry suit or the $110 NPS permit). And we are always looking for ways to lower the cost further!

We are aiming to fill the 16 person permit- 7 of those being capable oarsmen for the 6 boats (plus an extra rower for backup). We currently have one dory, one personal 18' raft, and four rental 18' rafts (which is what potential oarsmen/women would be rowing, unless you have a raft of comparable size to an 18'er for gear storage on a winter trip). The group is young and old, guys and gals- all very competent in the outdoors but not necessarily experienced boating. I would characterize the group as a diversely interested, high functioning group of fun people. I am in my 20's and about a quarter of the group consists of my fellow friends and guides from the outdoors program at UCLA. We've even got a native american flute player for morning wake ups! Definitely placing an emphasis on getting in a lot of side hikes (24 days should be at least three layover days, even in February), fun around food and the campfire, and getting to know the history of the canyon. Not a heavy drinking group, but also not a dry group.

Looking for two more rowers!

Cheers
Unread 3 Days Ago   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackvorster View Post
I have received some advice on my post... Here are some more details about the trip:

The launch date is February 15th, 24 days on the river, pulling out at Pearce Ferry. We are going with Moenkopi Riverworks for our outfitter. As of right now, the trip cost is ~$1,2500 per person (that includes gear, food and a place to stay before and after the trip, but it does not include a dry suit or the $110 NPS permit). And we are always looking for ways to lower the cost further!

We are aiming to fill the 16 person permit- 7 of those being capable oarsmen for the 6 boats (plus an extra rower for backup). We currently have one dory,

Sounds like an awesome trip. Heard from your other dory driver and wish I could join you, but alas have too many commitments in late Feb. If only you had a March launch!!

Enjoy!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Days Ago   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
haha...you lost me at getting woken up by a flute. Kidding...I'd be looking into joining you if I didn't already have a trip for next year.

I'm already signed up for a trip but it sounds like a great trip. I wish you luck on finding the right people to join you...that is a great time of year to be in the canyon. I would encourage you to maximize your allowed days and do 23 to Diamond and a few days from Diamond to Pearce. I've been down four times now and always wanted to have more time down there at the end.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Hours Ago   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Very interested. Have done 20 trips in canyon. Rowed 18 footers and smaller boats. Experienced with Moencopi. Have realized side canyon hikes offer the best GC experience. Several trips on NPS work trips(special places and hikes). Even if you trip has filled I am willing to share my into.
Rylerlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Hours Ago   #8

Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1974
I am interested in your Grand trip. I have been rafting for many years on western rivers. I rowed the Grand in October 2018, we used Pro 18' boats and food on our 21-day trip. Had a great time and really want to run her again. 1-505-320-8248
kfagrelius is online now   Reply With Quote