high water yampa - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-21-2019   #1

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1999
high water yampa

So my cousins wife has a high water Yampa, June 8, permit what camps should we ask for? First time down this river after multiple "donations" to the lottery. Any advice on camps must do hikes what ever you think we need to know, we need to know. Thanks in advance we are super stoked.

Johnny

johne2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019   #2

Ute City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Lucky you! June 8th should be prime time! My favorite camp line up is Ponderosa, Mathers, Box elder 3, Jones hole 1. Make your requests, and you get what you get. We always row to the take-out from Jones on the final day. Some might say it's a long row, but with an early start (9-10 am) we have always made it by early afternoon. The hike up Jones is beautiful, lots of bighorn sheep. Have a great time! She won't disappoint!
quinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
rapids?

How about beta on the rapids during high water. Seems like lots of videos of folks running Warm springs but nothing else...
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019   #4

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Yampa is one of the most beautiful canyon floats. All the camps are very nice. Harding Hole can be hard on the boats rubbing on rocks from the waves off the rapid right above camp but there is a very nice hike up the canyon to the top overlooking the whole canyon. Higher water is better than lower water. Rapids are all easy and straight forward down the middle of the wave train. Keep far right in Warm Springs and stay out of Maytag Hole as that one gets big at high water and will flip boats. No other rapids to worry about - Whirlpool Canyon is a blast at high water! Launching May 3rd myself, currently projected to be 9-10K cfs.
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
I am also launching on Yampa this year on May 6. Haven't done this section before and can't find info available on drinking water. Are there any resupply spots or should we carry for the whole trip? Thanks in advance!
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019   #6

summit, Colorado
Kenny, Echo Park can sometimes be a water re-supply point, but according to rec.gov, water isn't currently available there. Plus, that's towards the end of the trip anyway, so a little pointless. Filtering out of Jones Hole Creek might be an option, but also towards the end of the trip. I would bring all the water you'll need. Besides the silty high flows you'll probably be seeing, that river goes thru an awful lot of ranches on its way to Deerlodge Park - I wouldn't want to be drinking it.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019   #7

Nederland, Co. nearest town., Either grace or kerfuffled
Paddling Since: 1985
Yampa beta

Stop at mantle ranch and do the hike up to the fremont indian cave, Its a very easy hike, goes onto private property so be respectful, don't walk on the groing soil.
You need to take far river left channel to make pullout (when river's below 8000)...its a shallow channel, but you can't get over to pullout when river channelizes (below 8-9K) if you are not in the left channel.

harding hole is a great hike up to rim; mather is a GORGEOUS place to camp.
Check with Ranger regarding running water at ECHO Park. This is NOT at the end of your trip...ut you can certainly carry enough water for 5 -6 day trip, if there's no running water at echo.

You're gonna love it!
Jungle Jane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019   #8

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Request the extra day if your schedule allows; I'm not sure if they will give you 5 different camps or if they always turn it into a layover, we've been laid over at Harding twice. There is an awesome several hour hike up to the rim (mentioned in posts above), along the dirt road and back down Johnson canyon. In addition to the hikes mentioned by others I really like Starvation valley and the hike up Sand Creek.

Watch the weirdness in Moonshine, I've seen a decent oarsman ejected and a flip on that one in higher (Yampa 14-20K) water, my notes say "stay left" in bit letters.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019   #9

Sebastopol, California
Paddling Since: 1980
You can run the rapids on the Green a second time though split mountain after your trip...we did it a while back and it was a hoot in July. You must request the day trip permit from the Dino Office at least week or two in advance and list everyone on the form...these permits are not available same day to walk ins from the visitors center. The trip to the put in allowed us to check out the very cool petroglyphs at McKee springs. The Park Service (at our request) sent the permit to the Visitors center for our pick up to make the logistics simpler.

Have fun

Mark
Mark Mills is offline   Reply With Quote