Hells Canyon put in camping question - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Hells Canyon put in camping question

So we'll be coming in from the Idaho side.

What's the usual rig day like? Seems like there isn't any camping within several miles. Do you just rig and get it in the water and then hope it's there in the morning? Or do you show up ready to go on launch day?

Where do people camp? We're probably 13 people, multiple vehicles.

Pretty experienced group but kinda going in blind here, any advice appreciated.

MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
We have reserved spots at Hells Canyon Campround, about 15 miles up the road. We’re planning on being almost completely rigged when we arrive...

I’ve never done it either, so I guess we’ll figure it as we go.
Beer Waggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1994
If you have Diana and friends doing your shuttle, Scotty's Hell's Canyon Outdoor Supplies, they will let you sleep on their lawn the night before. There is a little blue house for grooving but not much else. We usually go into Halfway for breakfast and a Bloody Mary.
This puts us somewhat later than most arriving at HCD. This works for us though as we go about a mile or so downstream for our first night. A large gravel/sand bar called LaMont. There is an awesome spot for your common area near the big boulders, you'll find it. Groover deployment in the brush up behind and slightly downstream. Be advised, almost every time we've stayed here we seen black bear. Even in our boats once. Get up early and haze them off, no issues. Your itinerary beyond is yours to plan.

When you arrive at Hell's Canyon Dam find the ramp for launching inflatables just behind and slightly downstream from the high profile boat launch area. It's around behind the visitor's center. (our jet boat friends need the high profile ramp for their purposes and may get grumpy at you if you plug it with inflatables)
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4

Eagle, Idaho
Smiley said it perfect, although on the river we camp at a spot on river right about a mile up from wild sheep. Nice spot with lots of shade and great fishing. Not sure the name, but you can email me for the details. [email protected]
jpurkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley_n_mt View Post
... almost every time we've stayed here we seen black bear. Even in our boats once. Get up early and haze them off, no issues.
Bears IN your boats and they didn't pop them?

I've been worried about this for a while since almost every river I run is in bear Country.

In my head I should take the cooler off the boat because I assumed that if the bear is in my boat, the boat won't survive... But it's a lot of work to haul my cooler out to our usually undeveloped camping spots, and my strength and my back aren't what they used to be, so I usually just leave it on the boat.
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
We usually stay at Copperfield park or scottys. We tried to stay at scottys year before last and they had a water problem and where not letting people camp. The beutiful lawn they used to have was all burned up. also if it gets too hot they send people to copperfield instead of camping there.

Copperfield is nice and it is close to scotty's to arrange your shuttle in the morning. With a cell phone booster i was able to make phone calls from Copperfield and do last minute check ins or check on other people progress.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1994
[QUOTE=cupido76;737267]Bears IN your boats and they didn't pop them?

Yes. Both times this happened it happened to an Avon. Whether the heavier denier had anything to do with it or not is unknown. First one at LaMont, the bear was in the boat but just kinda sniffing around and left on an amble upon request.
The second time we had a bear in the boat was on Middle Fork Salmon and she (with cubs) marauded some provisions by destroying a cat litter container with cous cous and chocolate in it and additionally bending up the corner of the cooler lid. That one happened in the middle of the night and we didn't hear a thing.

No claw damage on either incident. No "biting" on the boat either as in fish guts smeared around. Nope! Lucky? Probably!
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8

Calgary, Alberta
[QUOTE=smiley_n_mt;737421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
Bears IN your boats and they didn't pop them?

Yes. Both times this happened it happened to an Avon. Whether the heavier denier had anything to do with it or not is unknown. First one at LaMont, the bear was in the boat but just kinda sniffing around and left on an amble upon request.

The second time we had a bear in the boat was on Middle Fork Salmon and she (with cubs) marauded some provisions by destroying a cat litter container with cous cous and chocolate in it and additionally bending up the corner of the cooler lid. That one happened in the middle of the night and we didn't hear a thing.

No claw damage on either incident. No "biting" on the boat either as in fish guts smeared around. Nope! Lucky? Probably!
Wow, that's impressive!
cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9

Boise, Idaho
There's a place about two miles south of the dam that Google maps calls Eagle Bar. We stayed there last year the night before our launch. It's a big flat area that had a porta potty and a couple trees for hammocks. Only issue we had was it got really windy that night.

Bwick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMedic View Post
So we'll be coming in from the Idaho side.

What's the usual rig day like? Seems like there isn't any camping within several miles. Do you just rig and get it in the water and then hope it's there in the morning? Or do you show up ready to go on launch day?

Where do people camp? We're probably 13 people, multiple vehicles.

Pretty experienced group but kinda going in blind here, any advice appreciated.

We usually drive in the morning of the launch as we usually only go as far as the Barton cabin area the first day (less than 5 miles I think). Mundo hotsprings outside of Cambridge has a campsite that might be a fun place to spend the night with just a couple of hours to the launch.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote