Green River - Desolation Canyon question - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2019   #11

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Make sure you tell the ranger in the morning (or the night before) when he rounds everyone up for his lecture about your permit holders arrival time so he can be available to check you in later.

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019   #12

My trick for launching on Deso during bug season is to rig mid day 11am-4pm. The bugs are not nearly as bad as the morning or evening. Last time we did this I had no problems with bugs until I went back down to get something from the rigged boat in the evening and was eaten alive. Generally the Ranger will check you out the night before if you ask and want to get an early start. Peak bug season is when the water starts dropping (early to mid June) through late July. Late July is less buggy if the water never gets above 20k or so which creates more mosquito hatcheries.
NedPimkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019   #13

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Just to share my experience - A few years ago I did an early June trip and bugs were horrid the first night. We're all from Grand Junction so drove and launched that day so didn't suffer at the ramp. The water flow was over 30K, which you could easily see. It had started to drop so there was a lot of soggy water and puddles around the first night's camp. We hauled all our stuff up a hill that was dry and had a bit of a breeze but still wore long sleeves, head nets, and retired to the protection of our tents early. Once we made it down river the bug problem diminished but we still dosed with DEET. Make sure you bring enough!

The bears won't be starving by then but watch out for them, keep a clean camp, and put the lid on your groover at the end of the night.

Just for a contrast, my last trip was a September launch and we never even put DEET on the whole trip. I'm still going to take plenty of bug spray when we launch on Sept. 12 this year!
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019   #14

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Be prepared for wind. Launch early. Secure PFDs, hats, chairs, etc. Stake tents, use a parachute cord wrapped over top of tent and staked on opposite sides.

Choose your kitchen site with maximum wind protection in mind...we prepared supper with epic winds using our griddles as shields around camp stoves and secured tables with river straps connected to kitchen box.

DEET, at the highest concentration you can tolerate.

It is totally worth the extra prep (good tires, DEET, etc.)...a magical place. Enjoy!
Old 05-11-2019   #15

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The bugs are bad enough that I use a head net when rigging the boats at the put-in. I also use a couple of tent pole hoops so I can put a mosquito net over my roll-o-cot. The bug issue diminishes as you get down stream, but the put-in can be nasty.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019   #16
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Put your rigging clothes (long sleeves and long pants, socks, head net) into a 2 gallon ziplock and pour the bottle of Deet in there to let it marinate for a couple days.

You will be getting a late start due to the permit holders late arrival, you need to be fully rigged and prepared to launch when the permit holder gets there so you can make some significant miles to a camp downstream away from the mosquitoes.

We have had a very wet spring so the bugs will be breeding well ahead of the water dropping this year.

Great trip, have fun
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

C. Springs, Colorado
Anyone know if the bugs are out yet this season? Just curious.....I leave in a few days...
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #18

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
Put your rigging clothes (long sleeves and long pants, socks, head net) into a 2 gallon ziplock and pour the bottle of Deet in there to let it marinate for a couple days.

You will be getting a late start due to the permit holders late arrival, you need to be fully rigged and prepared to launch when the permit holder gets there so you can make some significant miles to a camp downstream away from the mosquitoes.

We have had a very wet spring so the bugs will be breeding well ahead of the water dropping this year.

Great trip, have fun

+1 for this advice. The Mosquito's can block out the sun at Sand Wash and as was previously mentioned carry off small children. As noahfecks points out, it's been a wet spring, and there are at best always some present.

https://www.bugshirt.com/ has simply the best bug clothing, worth every penny you'll spend, and last for years. I hate DEET and other insect repellent's that the skeeters seem to love....

If you can't get Little Rock House (temple canyon) for your first night's camp, https://www.riverbrain.com/river_rapid/show/166
(hint, a motor is your friend in so many ways on Deso, make sure it's registered in the state you live in, and bring the placards AND the paper registration, good for windy days as well as the first 20 miles. ) a cheap wal mart screen room will be a most welcome addition to your trip.

I've launched under motor at 1PM and hit Temple canyon around 6PM motoring easy with a 4 boat barge.
Lastly, I wouldn't trust River Runners transport to shuttle a bicycle, let alone a car. Had bad (and very costly) esperiences with them in the past. Just one look at their "release and disclaimer" should tell you something's amiss with their service, not to mention they are totally and completely uninsured.

Seems like you have plenty of time, you should seriously consider an airplane shuttle with RedTail avaition out of Moab. Cheap, unbelievably scenic, (take your camera for sure) and they fly right up the river, low altitude if you like, you can scout rapids on your shuttle. The downside is you drive your vehicles to Green river the day before and leave all but one at the take out, then drive one to the green river airport to meet the plane. Having done this both ways, I much prefer the airplane shuttle.

Your subaru should be fine, just don't plan on exceeding 20MPH on the wrinkle road, take a full size spare for everything, and a can of fix a flat. It's gotten better over the years, but there's still very sharp shale which eats tires for lunch.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #19

vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 1986
No bugs yet!

We haven't seen a mosquito at all this season because it has been so cool and wet. They usually don't come out until the water starts dropping and the temperature starts rising!

Actually Sand Wash gets a really bad rap when it comes to mosquitoes. It's just as bad on the Yampa, through Lodore and below the confluence.

I don't think any of us can compare this year to previous years when it comes to bugs, water level and road conditions. In 33 years of conducting a business in the area, this year (other than maybe 2011) is so different and unpredictable. My suggestion is to enjoy the experience and forget about what you can't control!
melmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20

C. Springs, Colorado
Thanks Melmorr. I was kind of figuring the bugs wouldn't be out yet due to past experience this time of year. I'm leaving tomorrow and plan to stop by and fill water and pick up a couple last minute things at River Runners.

I've had nothing but good luck and several happy memories using River Runners shuttle service. A lot of things can go bad during a shuttle but they went out of their way one time to make sure one of our trucks made it to Green River. Another time I left my money bag sitting on their counter full of cash. I didn't get two blocks away and they were calling me on the phone and offered to run it down the road to me so I wouldn't have to turn around. I wouldn't be afraid to use them as I have for the past 10 years or so.

If your really concerned about your vehicle, one option I used last year was to rent a truck and put it through the ringer. If you can afford a new truck and won't let anyone drive it, this is a good option to go with.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote