Fort Collins Rafting - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-21-2009   #1

Wheat Ridge, 80033
Paddling Since: 2002
Fort Collins Rafting

Hello,
I am a student up in the Fort and was curious when rafting on the Poudre starts up. I live in Carbondale (10min from Gwood) during the summer and was hoping to get some runs in before going home. I will need to pick up my raft back in the 'dale first though. So how quickly should I bring her up?

Anyone wanna show me the ropes when the time comes? I'd like to meet some of the buzzards.

Thanks,
Taylor

tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009   #2

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hope this helps

Runoff starts when the snow starts melting. Without new snow and really warm weather it could be raftable in April and end in May. Might be another 2002 where the water was gone before it started. Stop by Rocky Mountain Adventures where College meets Shields. They would love to talk rafting/kayaking with you.
Jason Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009   #3

Fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
When the water is the best is during June 15-21. But if you want less hard water go before or after this date. Also go to rocky mountain adventures for more detail from the pros. the best one to talk to there is cass.
scottdalton95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009   #4

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to CFlem18
Hey,

I would be happy to help you out, I am also a student at CSU and I was a guide last year on the Poudre. With this weather the river will probably start running by the end of april, but we'll see. You can check the flows at americanwhitewater.org or eddyflower.com.

Let me know if your interested

-Also, I don't recommend going to RMA. Take your business elsewhere.
CFlem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
keep an eye out for an update on poudrerockreport.com... thats your best bet for poudre flows.
Ricky NM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #6

Wheat Ridge, 80033
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for the advice. What is a good flow for the Poudre? I guess what is too low, perfect and too high?
tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #7

the more water the better, it won't get too high this year. 2' is about minimum for having fun rafting 2'5" for some. 3' and above is legitimate fun. 4' and higher is good. MOst of the lines clean up as the water comes up, but its obviously a lot faster.

When rafting below stevens gulch for 90% of the rapids start left and head right. That should see you most of the way down with just a couple exceptions. Scout from the road, nearly everything that you need to see is visible from the road once again with a couple exceptions. I think the best way to learn the river is to head up there and follow a commercial trip down, they will show you the lines.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaggert View Post
Thanks for the advice. What is a good flow for the Poudre? I guess what is too low, perfect and too high?
3'7" is my favorite. But of course 4'4" is awesome. You can run it down to below a foot but i would not recomend that. I would go to another river or start kayaking once it gets below 1'4"-1'5".
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting