Escalante shuttle? - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Escalante shuttle?

Anybody have current information about the Escalante River shuttle?

The put in is on highway 12, so easy.

The take out usually involves a hike out through Coyote gulch. Anybody providing that shuttle service? I understand that the road can be an issue, due to sand.

If you continue to the lake, you would need a motorboat to take you back to a road. There you would need a vehicle shuttle and a motorboat shuttle.

Any recent experiences you could talk about with shuttles?

We would plan on IKs or packrafts, most likely.

Richard

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Motor boat shuttle sounds problematic. It's a long way from the put ins at Bullfrog or Hall's Crossing. Probably 60 miles just to the confluence and back and a boat gets only 3 or 4 MPG and goes 30MPH.
Also, if a boat went there, and you are late there is no way to communicate that short of having 2 Satellite phones.
One suggestion is to have 2 SUV-type 4WD vehicles. Park one at the end of the Hole in the Rock road, then take the other back to the put in.
Paddle out to the confluence, then a little downstream on the right is the ancient Morman dugway that goes up at roughly a 30 degree angle right to your vehicle in less than 1/2 mile. The Mormans took wagons down it, so getting IK's and packrafts up would be no problem.
Have some extra water and food in the Hole in the Rock SUV in case it rained recently.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Dugway location?

Dave:

Is that the famous hole in the rock road? It looks crazy steep, but I see your point. Of course, that is why it is so famous.

However, I estimate it to be about 4 miles down the lake from the Escalante, which could be a problem if the wind is blowing.

Thanks,
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
One suggestion is to have 2 SUV-type 4WD vehicles. Park one at the end of the Hole in the Rock road, then take the other back to the put in.
Paddle out to the confluence, then a little downstream on the right is the ancient Morman dugway that goes up at roughly a 30 degree angle right to your vehicle in less than 1/2 mile. The Mormans took wagons down it, so getting IK's and packrafts up would be no problem.
Have some extra water and food in the Hole in the Rock SUV in case it rained recently.
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Drive down and drop a bike first. Drive back up. Put in. Lounge, marvel, hike, and laugh -- for days.

Then one person hikes out with a lighter load (or none at all) and then rides back to the top to get the vehicle, while the others schlep gear out.

It's a relatively easy dirt road ride. 3, maybe 4 hours?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
I have hiked out Coyote Gulch and the crack in the wall several times always doing my own shuttle with two cars leaving one vehicle at the top to drive back to the Highway put-in. Don't know off hand anyone doing shuttles however.
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Boulder, Colorado
I can confirm that the boat ride out requires a very good friend willing to pound across the chop for hours to come get you. We did this in 2005(?) with good flow pretty far down, through the mud banks. A little dragging on sandbars and through the logjam at the lake boundary and camped on a crappy sliver of sand and then a very demoralizing boat ride back after an incredible trip. And a lot of very expensive marina gas.

I'm hiking out next time, somewhere.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

SLC, Utah
How do people get boats out Crack In The Wall when they pull out at Coyote? Can they line them up the cliff?
UtahBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
It is pretty straight forward. You want to be sure and have webbing and or a bit of rope-say maybe 50" or so plus extra. There are 3 maybe 4 places that you will have to line and rope pull the boats up the wall thru the crack section. The worst part is the sand and hiking up with your gear to get to the "crux". Doing a couple trips back and forth to ferry all you stuff. Keep that in mind and go light as possible! Ik's and pack rafts are the way to go.
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I talked with Bull Frog Marina.
They will do a pick up and take you back to Bull Frog. Need to pre arrange. It's about $600 and they said they can take up to 6 people.
suzpollon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Bullfrog

I followed up, and spoke to Captain Jason at Bullfrog, 435-684-3062. He said the charge is $200/hr, figure 3 to 4 hours. He said that they could take 6 people if there was not too much gear. He acted like this is something that they have done, and was not surprised when I spoke of a satellite system to tell him that we were at the takeout. A little bit more specific information.

Also, Google maps says 3.5 hours one way from the town of Escalante to Bullfrog Marina.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzpollon View Post
I talked with Bull Frog Marina.
They will do a pick up and take you back to Bull Frog. Need to pre arrange. It's about $600 and they said they can take up to 6 people.