Escalante shuttle? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #11

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We are looking hard at going out the Hole in the Wall Mormon Dugway. It looks less strenuous and less technical than the crack in the rock. Apparently people hike it down to the water pretty often. We could sit tight if the wind was blowing, wait for the winds to calm down, and then paddle hard to make the 4 miles from the Escalante to the bottom of the Dugway.

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #12

Fort Collins, Colorado
One thing that is not clear to me, is how much lake would we need to paddle to get to the confluence. We know that the lake is as low as it has ever been, 3569 ft, so there would not be as much paddling as in years past. The satellite photo is from 2015, when the lake was higher. That photo makes it look like maybe 10 miles of lake paddling....
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Looks like about 20 - 25 river miles from Coyote Gulch to Hole in the Rock dugway. Maybe 10 miles as the Crow flies. I would guess you'll hit lake around Cow / Fence Canyons which is about 5 miles below Coyote Gulch.

And yes, the last 4 miles would be the worst with wind as it usually is from the SW.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #14

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by raferguson1 View Post
We are looking hard at going out the Hole in the Wall Mormon Dugway. It looks less strenuous and less technical than the crack in the rock. Apparently people hike it down to the water pretty often. We could sit tight if the wind was blowing, wait for the winds to calm down, and then paddle hard to make the 4 miles from the Escalante to the bottom of the Dugway.
I hiked it last spring. Certainly doable, but neither easy nor non-technical with boats on backs. Still, probably only an hour from slinging packs onto backs at the lake to topping out at parking area.

But at a cost of so much more (lake) paddling, and so much more rough/slow driving, what's the benefit?
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I think hiking out from the mouth of Coyote via crack in the wall would be a lot easier than going to the Hole in the Rock Mormon route. Less flatwater and wind potential, I don't think the hikes are that much different in elevation gain or difficulty, and the road to the Crack TH is shorter and involves a lot less real 4wd. There is one spot (the Crack) that pretty much requires a short gear uphaul as the Crack is narrow and steep enough to make carrying a load very difficult. I've done an easy double haul with a Pack Cat (spending the night at the TH between hauls) and an easy single haul with a packraft.

I've heard there is at least one outfitter/guide service/outdoor shop in Escalante that will do a shuttle. I've used 2 trucks and a truck/motorcycle combo.
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #16

Fort Collins, Colorado
Ranger Steve says.....

I spoke to Ranger Steve. He said that the lake starts somewhere between Explorer Canyon and Davis Gulch. Based on that, I estimated 6 miles in the Escalante part of the lake, to the confluence, and then 4 more to the dugway.

It looks like we are going to Crack in the Wall, which is the standard option.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by raferguson1 View Post
One thing that is not clear to me, is how much lake would we need to paddle to get to the confluence. We know that the lake is as low as it has ever been, 3569 ft, so there would not be as much paddling as in years past. The satellite photo is from 2015, when the lake was higher. That photo makes it look like maybe 10 miles of lake paddling....
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #17

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
All those drainage's from Coyote down to the confluence are full of fantastic slot canyons. An important bonus from coming up them vs. going down them is you can always retreat.

If, for whatever reason. the lake doesn't rise more, or if it gets lower, the Cathedral of the Desert appears up Clear Creek. Not too many people ever see that in person.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #18

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Did the Bullfrog folks say where they'd meet you?
Glenwood.Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #19

Fort Collins, Colorado
Where the boat would meet us

I did not ask where Captain Jason would meet us. My assumption is that he would meet us where the lake starts, but I would think that would be negotiable. Obviously we need to make it past the mud flats, etc.

As far as the Cathedral in the Desert, since we would be paying by the hour, I am sure that the Captain would be happy to make a small detour.

At this point, we are leaning to hiking out Coyote Gulch, but I will probably be pushing to go all the way to the lake, see more canyon. It is a group, so we have to agree on a plan. That decision might be affected by the flow, with higher flow favoring the lake exit.

We have a semi-fixed launch date of May 19. If for any reason the Escalante does not have much water in it, we would then head for the Owyhee. That was the original plan, before my buddy persuaded me that this was the year to run the Escalante, before we get too old to do it.
Old 4 Days Ago   #20

salt lake city, Utah
I would love to get in on an escalante IK trip if anyone has one planned.

Road to hole in the rock is mostly whoops/washboard and very deep ruts. Can be done in a subaru or truck, albeit slowly unless you want to add ball joints to your trip costs.

PM me, id love to float this this year.