drinking/cooking water on San Juan - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2019   #1

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
drinking/cooking water on San Juan

I am doing my first ever San Juan in late-May (Sand Island to Clay Hills), and I'm a little confused about the water situation. I believe I've read you simply need to carry ALL your water, either because of some sort of chemical or oil spill, or simply because the water is so silty that it's very difficult to treat it. Is this right ? If so, what's a reasonable per-person amount for a 7-night trip at this time of year ? I'm thinking maybe 10 gallons per-person. Is it possible to re-fill water jugs at Mexican Hat, that would help a lot ?

jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019   #2
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Knowing what's upstream I've never been willing to drink the water on that section of the SJ on any of my trips. So yes I'd suggest that you bring all you need and yes you can refill in Mexican Hat. Have fun!!!
Liquido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #3

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Yep, what Liquido said. One of the Siltiest rivers there is, and lots of mines with spills, as well as an oil spill near by this spring. To thin to plow, to thick to drink....
matt man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
While refilling water jugs at Mexican Hat I park above the highway bridge and always leave one person at all times with the boats.
Old 04-10-2019   #5

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Where in MH can you refill jugs?
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Another 2 cents... I've always planned for 1 gallon per person/per day, then you can add a few gallons depending on how much you use for cooking etc. (That obviously would not be used for dish washing) I always carry some sort of emergency water treatment as well with my first aid kit.
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJam View Post
Where in MH can you refill jugs?
You park right before the highway bridge and walk up the old dirt road to the motel and restaurant that is on the river. Have you a burger and a milk shake, fill up on ice. They have always let me refill water jugs from the hose. A nice friendly stop I highly recommend for a lunch time break.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I live on a tributary to the Juan and peed in it this weekend, so its definatly not safe now.

It will be really silty with this years runoff, I went on a trip years ago where you could splash water on the tubes of a boat and it would leave a sand/silt spot after the water ran off, its the real deal. I recommend you dont get any white or bright colored clothing in it if you want it to stay that way. There is parking at the Mexican Hat boat launch if you want to stage a vehicle with extra gear for a top off. There is a gas station/ convenience store along with some other business a few hundred yards from the Mexican Hat boat launch FYI if you need some supplies on your way through.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #9

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Whatever you do, be sure to go get ice cream in Mexican hat!
The little convenience store up the road is pretty awesome, he even has good beer if your running low, and has helped me out with shuttles before.

Have fun on the Juan! It is an awesome little river
matt man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #10

wilson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1967
We're doing it for the sixth time in May.
We've always brought drinking/cooking water one gallon/day/man.
We use the river water for other purposes: 5 gallon bucket with alum added settles it the silt in an hour.
tetoncounty is offline   Reply With Quote