drinking/cooking water on San Juan - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-10-2019   #11

salt lake city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetoncounty View Post
5 gallon bucket with alum added settles it the silt in an hour.
Ditto.

Also, the 'spillage' people are referring to is actually natural oil leaking from the rock at Slickhorn. It can smell funky at times!

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019   #12

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackay View Post
Ditto.

Also, the 'spillage' people are referring to is actually natural oil leaking from the rock at Slickhorn. It can smell funky at times!
While there is oil leaking naturally down by Slickhorn Canyon, there was also a spill from oil mining near a side stream, above Sand Island, not long ago. Somebody started a thread about it, and posted links to an article, and pics of the EPA cleaning it up down stream @ Sand Island.

I never knew until this winter, but there is actually quite a bit of oil, up north of Aneth. I talked to some oil workers at a Blanding hotel, on the way back from the Grand. They were down there working a Wild Cat rig, which is most of the oil exploration there. Said the oil patch guys hit the salt layer, and give up, the Wild Cat rigs keep going and have been finding quite a bit of oil out there. Basically all upstream of Sand Island.
matt man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019   #13

Skink, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Last week there were at least six dead cows in the river between Montezuma Creek and Sand Island.
Nugs is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019   #14

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1994
We bring 1gal/person/ day, used for drinking and cooking, which seems to be about right in warmer weather. Especially when you add in other packaged beverages. We floc and decant with PAC for dish water and hand wash. Final dish rinse with Steramine. FWIW.
Deejinmissoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019   #15

Albuquerque, New Mexico
The San Juan is a short enough trip. 1 gallon per day per person and I would have to have a tanker ship follow me. Generally I have found a 5 gallon jug plus some frozen 1 gallon ice blocks in the cooler and typical tea, Gatorade and sodas will get you though even the hottest 5 days. In cooler weather 5 Gallons can easily take care of 4 people of 10 days.

Filtering water is slow and painful, and if you treat it with something tastes terrible. Better to just bring what you need.
DidNotWinLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #16

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1976
s.j. water

From Bluff to M.H. will be 2 nights max so hauling H2O shouldn't be a problem. Fill up at the S J Inn and have lunch on day3. There's no reliable silt free side stream water from the Hat (c.28 miles) except in wet years at Johns (c57 miles) until Slickhorn (c.66 miles) There's also reliable water at Grand Gulch (c.70 miles) These last 3 all will likely contain a tasty helping of beaver shit so you'll need to purify. At Oljato there's an excellent spring you can drink without purifying about a half mile up canyon.
SCP
stephencpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019   #17

Half Moon Bay, California
Paddling Since: '82
just a note don't confuse the Mexican Hat boat ramp with the stop near the San Juan Inn just upstream of the bridge. At the Mexican Hat "ramp"there is a convienience store up by the paved road and at the next stop by the San Juan Inn is --you guessed it --the San Juan Inn, go figure. the walk to the SJ inn is shorter than the walk to the store. I don't get water out of the san juan riv except for dishes and bathing and it gets an appropriate dose of chlorine. Have a great trip
ckirrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019   #18

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1997
I know this is a little late, but my crew will be taking its fourth journey from Mexican Hat to Clay Hills this June. Every boat carries 2, 5-gallon containers. That said, for whatever reason we've needed more water (one newbie pair used the water we toted to wash off their boats, for instance), and it's never been a problem. You probably knew about using aluminum sulfate to clarify the water; we use this process before filtering to extend the life of the filter, and also for the pleasure of washing dishes in water we can actually see through. Lots of videos on how to do this; I like these two guys so this is my favorite. Have fun!
Albuquerque Doug is offline   Reply With Quote