Dominguez Escalante - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Ridgway, Colorado
The age of the threads don't matter; nothing about this run has changed in the last 20 years.

I don't know how much your boat weighs or how strong you and your buddy are.
It's +/- 75yds of challenging terrain. My guess is that you can do it and that you'll swear a lot.

rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Black Hawk, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
The age of the threads don't matter; nothing about this run has changed in the last 20 years.

I don't know how much your boat weighs or how strong you and your buddy are.
It's +/- 75yds of challenging terrain. My guess is that you can do it and that you'll swear a lot.
Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know about the takeout length for the walk. Boat will have a good amount of gear and we are both very strong. I guess we could walk up the cooler and any heavy stuff first, and then drag up the raft and frame second?
Cgilbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13

Black Hawk, Colorado
How is the cell coverage between Delta and Whitewater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I used to think about running this section, that is until I got a look at the Bridgeport "take out" on a backpacking trip into the Dominguez Canyon Wilderness area. It was muddy mess and overgrow with bushes and I thought geez that would suck. It could be done though. It is a shame because maybe 1/4 mile or so up river along the road there is a nice sandy ramp that would be great except that it was behind a locked gate when I was there. I don't know whether or not this gate is ever unlocked but I wouldn't count on it.

I have never been to the Whitewater ramp so I can't comment on this. However, look at Google maps and you can get a good sense of what you are in for at both ramps. It looks to me like both Bridgeport and Whitewater are under-the-tracks carries.
Ever_Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I live in GJ so now the river pretty well. The Gunnison is a nice stretch of water but there are some real challenges getting off the river.

Great hikes up both Dominguez creeks to waterfalls, rock art, and a lot of bighorn sheep. Bangs Canyon is a nice place to explore. There are designated campsites RL but I think you can camp anywhere. There is camping at the mouth of Dominguez but the BLM would rather you not use it. It's been abused plus a lot of people will walk right through camp on the hike up the creek. There's a campsite not far below Bridgeport and there is a nice rock art panel close by. Trains are minimal now that most of the coal mines are closed.

The reality is that the Gunnison is not raft or trailer friendly. I duckie it and a good friend canoes regularly. The put-in at Escalante is fine, everything else is unpleasant at best. I haven't seen the designated ramp at Whitewater recently but you have to haul you boat under the railroad tracks. Same at Bridgeport. I think the best take out option is at the bridge on Hwy 141. You can get a trailer close but it's still not easy. There is no portage around the roller dam and the stretch below that isn't great.

Despite the challenges it's will be a nice trip.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16
Di

Everything smhoeher said. The BLM spent a lot of money building a parking lot but the carry under the railroad sucks. The Hwy 141 bridge is "best" takeout, as it is a very short carry, but be ready for it - at high water the bank is steep and current strong.
Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

Black Hawk, Colorado
I was reading in a river book it is possible to raft all the way into grand junction? Is that possible? The book said there is a diversion dam after whitewater, and to “be careful when rowing over it.”
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
i've done this 4 times and never had a break in....but i bet it happens.
I also would like to know about this dam and traveling down to 141 bridge.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

Black Hawk, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
i've done this 4 times and never had a break in....but i bet it happens.
I also would like to know about this dam and traveling down to 141 bridge.
I think it’s below 141
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #20

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Don't go over the roller dam. It's deadly! There's an area below the dam that is OK for launching. I was able to get my trailer to the water. It's not a nice stretch of river. The only reason I was there was a trash pick up. There are a bunch of homeless camps. The float through GJ is nice from Palisade to Loma with good access plus a 6th ramp under construction. A bike path follows the river most of the way. A lot of us do bike shuttles.