Dolores sooner or later - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-18-2019   #1

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Dolores sooner or later

Im looking for shuttle and river partners for Dove Creek to Bedrock, or Bedrock/San Miguel confluence to Gateway, or even to Dewey/Moab.
Flexible in the next week or so, and also towards the anticipated spill in mid or late May. 13' cat, groover, firepan, etc.

Thanks and SYOTR!

markinsteamboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I'm busy the next two weekends but I'm definitely down to check it out after that. I've run Gateway to Dewey bridge before and loved it, I'd like you check out the rest too!
Fly By Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019   #3

Phoenix, Arizona
If there is water I am looking at a May 31st launch. Would be game to team up. Can't make any earlier, kids last day of school is the 30th. My kids are 10-16 with lots of experience. We usually do single boat trips. Would bring an 18' boat for the Dolores. Have all gear. If no water in the Dolores looking at doing big water Cataract. I guess we sit and wait for the DWCD April 20th update.
pwolfehagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019   #4

Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
i'm game....pm sent
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019   #5

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Gateway to Dewey Bridge

I'm interested in running a shuttle this Friday night from Montrose beginning at 8pm to Dewey Bridge and then camping out in Gateway Saturday late and running the stateline section on Sunday. It's 30 miles but at this water level I think it should be doable. Is anybody headed that way on Sunday?

Thoughts on trying to make this in a day or running it at this water level 4,000 +
coloradoajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfehagen View Post
If there is water I am looking at a May 31st launch. Would be game to team up. Can't make any earlier, kids last day of school is the 30th. My kids are 10-16 with lots of experience. We usually do single boat trips. Would bring an 18' boat for the Dolores. Have all gear. If no water in the Dolores looking at doing big water Cataract. I guess we sit and wait for the DWCD April 20th update.
If a "high water" Cataract trip turns out to be your final option I would really think about taking pre-teens. I don't know your experience but all should know that is real deal boating down there at "high water" and should not be considered a comparable trip to the Dolores.
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019   #7

Phoenix, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
If a "high water" Cataract trip turns out to be your final option I would really think about taking pre-teens. I don't know your experience but all should know that is real deal boating down there at "high water" and should not be considered a comparable trip to the Dolores.

In total agreement. Different boat for a different trip. Heading to Cat with a motor snout. Dolores would be great but too much variability for my calendar this year. Good luck to those that make it.
pwolfehagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019   #8

San Antonio, Texas
Paddling Since: 1973
A friend and I would be interested in joining a trip through Slick Rock Canyon (and perhaps also the upper portion of Ponderosa Gorge or the canyon below Bedrock) in late May or very early June. I would be in either an 11'2" or 14'3" whitewater canoe and he would be paddling a 16' SOAR inflatable canoe. I'm assuming that there won't be enough water above the San Miguel confluence until they start "spilling" from McPhee. Is that correct? Any idea what the water level will be once the damn release starts? Although we have a great deal of experience on the Rio Chama and some on the San Juan, neither of us has previously been on the Dolores.
HJAIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019   #9

Ridgway, Colorado
I suggest some online research. All of your questions can be answered with a little google.
I don't have the time for much online hand holding but; You've had boatable flows for your rigs for the last 6+ weeks. Once they start to release, 5/21, yer probably gonna want to avoid the upper/Snaggletooth, or at least tell me yer dates so I can get a lawn chair and some popcorn ready.
rtsideup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019   #10

GRAND JUNCTION, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
I suggest some online research. All of your questions can be answered with a little google.
I don't have the time for much online hand holding but; You've had boatable flows for your rigs for the last 6+ weeks. Once they start to release, 5/21, yer probably gonna want to avoid the upper/Snaggletooth, or at least tell me yer dates so I can get a lawn chair and some popcorn ready.
What's a google?
Noodle Arms is offline   Reply With Quote