Desolation early april - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-21-2018   #1

Banff, alberta
Desolation early april

So there’s permits available early April for deso/grey canyon. I’m looking into all the logistics (it’s a long way from home). I haven’t found much info on trips that early in the season. Any insiders info on Deso in early April would be great!

gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Pick me up on your way south!

(If I don't snag a Middle or Main permit or grab an early season, I'm seriously interested)
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
You can go in April for sure. The river could be up a bit so you would most likely have a healthy flow, Class III. You can do up to 8 days I believe to make it worth your long drive. You would want to be prepared for all kinds of possible weather from 80 degrees to total blizzard/snow. The wind can be pretty bad in the desert in the spring so you should be prepared to have some long days possibly or bring a motor.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018   #4

Banff, alberta
Thanks that’s pretty much what i’m anticipating. Looks like an incredible trip. Unfortunately the only motor I have is myself!
It looks like river runners transport is the way to go for a shuttle.
Old 12-21-2018   #5

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
Thanks thatís pretty much what iím anticipating. Looks like an incredible trip. Unfortunately the only motor I have is myself!
River Runners Shuttle IS the only way to go. They are great to work with. I've used them for many years. They might still be the only company allowed to do Deso shuttles.

8 nights 9 days is the max. You can make it one day longer be camping a 9th night down in the daily section. (last 10 miles). Without a motor, I'd say it's at least a 5 night trip.

I've done at least 10 trips in April. It's a great time to be down there, but it is cold at night and a crap shoot during the day when it comes to weather. Some days it will blow all day long. I've had it rain sleet and snow all in one day, and the next day be sunny and t-shirt weather. I've seen loaded gear boats flip in wind gusts while sitting on shore. I've been blown into the bank for several hours before it let up enough to get to the next available camp. Bring your warmest clothes and sleeping bag. I'm going on an April trip this year and plan to bring an extra dry bag of clothes and blankets.

The plus is no bugs and no poison ivy on the hike in Rock Creek. SYOTR
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018   #6

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
Thanks that’s pretty much what i’m anticipating. Looks like an incredible trip. Unfortunately the only motor I have is myself!

Get your permit. Don't sign up for how many are going till last minute.
You should get a pretty decent flow so getting down river without a motor should be no problem, unless your trying to do a 6 day trip (don't) for some silly reason.
If you decide to do it e-mail me at bighorn if you need/want a additional boat to go along or it you just have any Questions. I've done Deso/Gray at least a dozen times from April through September, 1250 CFS through 24,000. Get a cabin for the night before launch it is $25 well spent. Rig day before launch and ask the ranger to inspect the day before if he is around and willing. The first day is a long day to the good camp grounds. Get started early as reasonable.
Old 12-21-2018   #7

Banff, alberta
No bugs is a huge bonus, cold nights is a pretty normal thing to me, but I might not have a lot of rowing support. So I’d hope to make the trip 4-5 nights. Long days on the water and the option for a couple hikes would be ideal.
I’ve looked around online a lot and found a lot of documented trips. Seems like deso gets everything from full on adventurers, families, and college kids all headed down the river. Saw one group of yahoos on YouTube parading down the river with a bull elk head with a full rack as a hood ornament on their raft?

So as I’m planning I keep wondering is this one I can solo with my girlfriend ( she’s good, she can handle a little rain snow and ice wind) or should I bring my old friend that has no problem fending off grizzly bears? Either way I’m ultra excited to really get the wheels in motion.
Old 12-21-2018   #8

Banff, alberta
BIGHORN- 6 day trip would be silly? In what sense? Too long? Too short?
Old 12-21-2018   #9

Banff, alberta
2017 was a big year by the looks of historical flows..... I’m hoping it’s above 3-4K cfs at least
Old 12-21-2018   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
6 day/5 night would be probably a day too short in my opinion. You need time to space out the first and last day miles which are long without the W. I've soloed it with my girlfriend before, as long as you are comfortable with class III boating you should be fine.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote