Desolation early april - Page 9 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-20-2019   #81

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Don't leave us hanging, there must be more to this story
Ok, I don't think a little hijacking of this post will hurt, it looks like it's about to rapped-up anyway. On a non stop flight from Newark New Jersey to San Diego California in 1993, a new flight attendant on his first flight after training came into the cockpit to introduce himself, we noticed he used alot of deodorant or aftershave. So being, we had a long 48 hour layover in San Diego, with a crew of 6, we decided to rent a car and go to Tijuana Mexico to celebrate his first flight at La Cantina bar. After several shots of JD he became very jovial and ended up in a fight out side the bar and got arrested. The next day we had to drive back to Tijuana and pay 600$ for his release. He told us he would not sleep because the other 8 detainees look like they would jump him and no guards anywhere. We joked with him about the amount of deodorant or aftershave he had on, probably attracted the other inmates.For the next 18 years or so, every time we worked together we would tell that story to the rest of the crew. Great times, as good as river stories.

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019   #82

Banff, alberta
Do have to haul out all the ashes from campfires? Or can u spread them into the main flow of the river?
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019   #83

Banff, alberta
Be nice.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019   #84

C. Springs, Colorado
Gassy, you have to haul all your ashes out. I have an ammo can just for that and I fill it with bags of charcoal for the ride in. Some people douse them and scoop the mush into a garbage bag in the morning. They also like to see a fire blanket, but I don't think they require them yet. I know it's coming. They want you to use tarps in the kitchen area too.

The Ute's don't seem to be budging on allowing people to purchaser camping permits for the Left side of the river. Good thing your going early and beating the crowds.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019   #85

Banff, alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Gassy, you have to haul all your ashes out. I have an ammo can just for that and I fill it with bags of charcoal for the ride in. Some people douse them and scoop the mush into a garbage bag in the morning. They also like to see a fire blanket, but I don't think they require them yet. I know it's coming. They want you to use tarps in the kitchen area too.

The Ute's don't seem to be budging on allowing people to purchaser camping permits for the Left side of the river. Good thing your going early and beating the crowds. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/IMG]
Thanks Caverdan, I figured as much but wanted to be sure.
I’m pretty stoked to beat the crowds but hopefully I’ve got some good flow rates for an April 3 departure. It’s snowing in Wyoming !!
Old 02-24-2019   #86

Banff, alberta
Just me and a pretty girl! Can’t wait..... so for the shuttle. To fly or not to fly? ( hire river runners)
Old 02-24-2019   #87

Banff, alberta
If I were to unload all my stuff at the put in, then drive to take out and fly back that would probably be ok, as long as I dont have to worry about all my gear disappearing while I shuttle?
I’ve read previous posts about this but I’m having an active discussion with my partner right now and we’re trying to figure out the best way
Old 02-24-2019   #88

Banff, alberta
Most of my concern is about having someone else drive my truck on back roads....
Old 02-24-2019   #89

Northwest, Montana
Have really good tires!

I've only used them once, but River Runners treated my whole crew's rigs just fine. Several in the crew have used them multiple times without complaint.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019   #90

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Personally I'd worry more about my gear being left than shuttle drivers. Most shuttle companies are proud of their reputations and are respectful of the vehicles they are driving. River Runners have a good reputation; we've used them on the Yampa and Deso several times.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote