Desolation early april - Page 8 - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-30-2018   #71

Banff, alberta
You guys are beauties.... I got the permit anyway. Doin 7 days starting April 3.

I’ll need some meals from u boys cause I dunno if border security will let me bring my world class bolognese through......

gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019   #72

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
By the way. I am a very good cook and only my modesty keeps me from bragging.
DarrylH may have the best suggestion for how to pull off a classic trip.
We are going to need more than one cook!!!! I mentioned Shap as he has posted some river meals in the past that had me licking my screen.

That's great news gazzy. It will be a trip she will never forget.....in a good way. Maybe you can ship your food to River Runners before you arrive.

PM me your Email address and I'll send you some sites to see and camps you might like.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019   #73

Northwest, Montana
Venison steaks over the fire pan are a must for me on any trip. There's plenty of wood in Deso/ Gray. We bought a couple "just in case" bundles and didn't burn any of it.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019   #74

Nederland, Co. nearest town., Either grace or kerfuffled
Paddling Since: 1985
Hi,

I don't know how much river experience you have, (I'm guessing you're more than a novice, coming all that way)...Deso is a fantastic trip to run solo boat on, if you know what you're doing as far as "risk management."
Its all about prior preparation...which is every river trip! 1000 to 25,000 cfs, has been pretty much all read 'n run...(But remember, new rapids form all the time.)If you're comfortable with class III (I'm not talking "Middle Fork class III) you will have no trouble.
Always scout, if in doubt!

The wind/weather is typical for any desert river. Plan for storms, possibly snow, & sun!
You get way more sun exposure than most river canyons. I rowed a commercial trip one May, I was wearing long sleeves & doctor scrubs (I'm naturally dark, don't usually sunburn) but I got sun blisters on the backs of my hands & tops of my feet!
The first 20 miles have no current, then it picks up, but its still the desert. Very little gradient, except in the rapids...

Crazy not to plan at least 7-8 days. You can always take out early; If you're getting blown upstream, pull over, break out your river kite & go camping!
When I run a solo boat trip, I like to put a couple throwbags on the outside D-rings. I have a very long bow & stern line; that way if I flip, or get in trouble, at least I can swim the rope to shore!

Remember! "PPPPP!" (Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance!)

Oh...One more thing. Don't wear AXE deodorant! It attracts bears. (Some boater in Deso got dragged out of his tent by his head last year!)
No shit! Would I lie to you?

(I can't commit at this date, but if you're looking for another boat/ or i can be of further assistance, Please get in touch!)

Till we fleet, JJ
Jungle Jane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019   #75

Banff, alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jane View Post
Hi,

I don't know how much river experience you have, (I'm guessing you're more than a novice, coming all that way)...Deso is a fantastic trip to run solo boat on, if you know what you're doing as far as "risk management."
Its all about prior preparation...which is every river trip! 1000 to 25,000 cfs, has been pretty much all read 'n run...(But remember, new rapids form all the time.)If you're comfortable with class III (I'm not talking "Middle Fork class III) you will have no trouble.
Always scout, if in doubt!

The wind/weather is typical for any desert river. Plan for storms, possibly snow, & sun!
You get way more sun exposure than most river canyons. I rowed a commercial trip one May, I was wearing long sleeves & doctor scrubs (I'm naturally dark, don't usually sunburn) but I got sun blisters on the backs of my hands & tops of my feet!
The first 20 miles have no current, then it picks up, but its still the desert. Very little gradient, except in the rapids...

Crazy not to plan at least 7-8 days. You can always take out early; If you're getting blown upstream, pull over, break out your river kite & go camping!
When I run a solo boat trip, I like to put a couple throwbags on the outside D-rings. I have a very long bow & stern line; that way if I flip, or get in trouble, at least I can swim the rope to shore!

Remember! "PPPPP!" (Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance!)

Oh...One more thing. Don't wear AXE deodorant! It attracts bears. (Some boater in Deso got dragged out of his tent by his head last year!)
No shit! Would I lie to you?

(I can't commit at this date, but if you're looking for another boat/ or i can be of further assistance, Please get in touch!)

Till we fleet, JJ

Deodorant!?!? I don’t even plan on bringing toothpaste!!!!

Got a permit for April 3-10. Should be 3-4 boats on our departure if ppl can truly commit.
I’m not playin in the snow much this winter so I’m PPPPPing to the Max.
Being that I’ve never been on this stretch of river I’m hoping to get flows of at least 2500, but the more the merrier. It looks to be snowing a fair bit in the upper green river basin though.
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019   #76

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Jungle Jane- "Don't ware AXE Deodorant" That's true for the jail house in Tijuana after a good time at La Cantina watering hole.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019   #77

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Jungle Jane- "Don't ware AXE Deodorant" That's true for the jail house in Tijuana after a good time at La Cantina watering hole.

Don't leave us hanging, there must be more to this story
Old 01-20-2019   #78

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1997
Wire Fence 2 is gorgeous. Well, the camp, certainly--but a walk behind camp reveals an awesome, desert, beauty. We also had the pleasure of seeing about a boxcar X .5 size rock fall off the opposite bluff. The Gods rewarded us for not violating Ute land!
Albuquerque Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019   #79

Albuquerque, New Mexico
On one of our trips, RRT's drivers clearly hit the gas pedal on a friend's van bounced several support posts lose on his trailer. Trailer was absolutely solid before they got hold of it at Sand Wash. Pick up at Swasey's: apparent damage. Their first response was, "Well, our driver says he didn't do it." Yeah. Well. What would one expect the driver to say? Took him a long time to get any concession, and they finally offered not top pay for the trailer repair but simply to refund his shuttle money. And added, "Never shuttle with us again." We will probably use them again as I'm not into paying the extra $370 for flights and then having to make that drive (and how do I get my boat stuff from the landing strip to the river?). But, caveat emptor, for sure. Take pictures of everything--your car, your trailer if you use one--at parking before you head down the river. Never done Deso? You're going to love it. The scenery builds as you head to Desolation Canyon. Changes dramatically as you make the transition to Gray. BTW, by all means spend a night at Nefertiti! Nice beach. Big, cottonwood, surrounded individual tent sites. Ready-set toilets. Most folks don't consider it, but the campsites between Coal Creek Rapid and Nefertiti are pretty freaking barren, and the ones between Nefertiti (that's just fun to say, isn't it?) and Swasey's are the same.
Old 01-20-2019   #80

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Not bringing toothpaste? Perhaps that's the real issue with your girlfriend's reticence...