Desolation early april - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-28-2018   #61

Banff, alberta
wish I had u guys here to help me convince her to change her mind back.... I’m not quitting

gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018   #62

Northwest, Montana
I didn't read any of the above as a warning to avoid the trip. I can't wait to do it again. I very nearly went back to float it in the fall of the same year - I opted for the San Juan instead (another highly recommended float BTW).

Bring warm clothes, but there's a good chance you won't need them. Everyone suggesting 9-10 days is just to give you time to enjoy the hiking. There's so much hiking to be done on that float that you'll be ready to drive back to Sand Wash and start over to do some of the hikes you missed.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #63
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirrk View Post

In other words

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson
Ha ha! One of my skiing mentors used to have that one on his locker, he would take us on warm up runs for the day down black mogul runs while they were froze up solid, his only rule was " NO STOPPING till you get to the bottom!!" never knew that one came from Gonzo!!
I love that quote, live your life to the fullest, while you can, just go, and have fun, I have yet to regret a river trip.
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018   #64

If you are prepared and willing to put up with a little potential hardship, this trip is AWESOME. Really gorgeous scenary. Nice camping. Enough whitewater to be interesting. Wildlife. Solitude. Go for it.
rivergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #65

Golden, Colorado
I woke up from an afternoon nap to see a rattlesnake starring at me through the tent mesh, probing for an opening by tapping it’s head against the tent wall.

I am not helping, am I?

It’s dead now. Maybe that will help?

It’s a worthwhile trip. I’d get another girlfriend. Good luck.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018   #66

C. Springs, Colorado
Every year we go, we put High School kids in 2 or 3 duckies and most do the whole trip without a swim. If it's the wind she is afraid of....it only blows in the afternoon and quits at sunset.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018   #67

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah
Paddling Since: 1980
Answer to conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
wish I had u guys here to help me convince her to change her mind back.... I’m not quitting
Gazzy, I suddenly realized the answer to your conundrum - invite all of the guys who offered comments - they're feeling left out! (We were launching with several boats full of scouts when the river ranger drug over a solo couple like you - "I'm not excited about their going alone, can I pair them with you?" Worked out great and we made new friends.)

We've never meet each other, but Caverdan can scout rapids, Griz keeps the humor going - SNAKES? really Griz? I can't stop laughing, Mattman arranges the shuttle, Okieboater provides weather forecasts, Pigpen arranges hikes, Rivergod sets up the kitchen, Evercat finds campsites, MNichols counts planes flying overhead, Bighorn handles logistics, Riverwild brings his girlfriend to keep yours company, DoStep does trash, MT4Runner buys gas for the motor, DidNotWinLottery brings the motor, Bcpnick sets the schedule, Hhardy appraises of scenery, PhotoGuy offers commentary, and I'll cook fresh artisan bread every night.

Gazzy, you've got your trip! Tell your girlfriend all of that preparation just goes to show she's worth fussing over! She'll be glad to have seen something few people will ever see and experience!
Darryl
DarrylH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018   #68

C. Springs, Colorado
I vote Darryl as our trip leader. Shap needs to come along for his culinary skills.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018   #69

Jenks, Oklahoma
what a hoot to do a classic Deso Gray float with many of the Mt Buzz posters.

Many of the folks mentioned abovve I have swapped posts with and learned so much about river running from. Especially recipes and dutch oven stuff.

By the way, a couple years ago me and a canoe bud did a september run in BWCA. A great time to go by the way. We got caught on one of the big lakes with constant wind blowing big waves on our shore. After the second day of solid wind we got up real early next morning and got into safer water to get into Ely. That night a monster storm blew in. We got lucky. Since that trip, I have one of the emergency weather radios. Amazon has plenty to choose from. They do come in handy and tailor forecasts for the area their signal covers.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018   #70

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
By the way. I am a very good cook and only my modesty keeps me from bragging.
DarrylH may have the best suggestion for how to pull off a classic trip.