Desolation early april - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-27-2018   #51

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylH View Post

Do any of you know if the Ute Tribe still requires a permit for camping on the east side of the river?
No more camping or hiking on the Ute side period. They shut down the permit system recently.

bcpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018   #52

Half Moon Bay, California
Paddling Since: '82
April can be slow going with low water levels. Add in the W and it gets exponentially slower. Also if it snows and it easily could you might enjoy having an extra day or 5 built into your itinerary. I really like 10 days on deso in april. There are lots of good places to hike and layover so if you have the time spend it on the river. Deso is a beautiful stretch of river and weather just adds spice to the experience. Take your girlfriend and take your time.
ckirrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #53

Banff, alberta
I am definetly adding a day to my itinerary. Real early starts sound like the key to success. Saw a YouTube video where buddy’s raft was thrown from the rivers edge up into a tree that looks like a 100 ft from the river. That much wind certainly would spice things up, a lot. I am bringing my girlfriend, she did pretty well in India so hopefully a few windy days in Deso won’t make her shy away from any more of my silly excursions!

Tons of info here. You guys rock
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2018   #54

C. Springs, Colorado
A couple of things to note, Gazzy.

In order to rent a screened in hut at the put it you need to call the Price BLM office. You can't rent them through Rec.gov, but they do give you the layout of them to help you choose which one you want.

This is my personal opinion on campsites. The really cool and pretty campsites are in Deso from Rock House to Wire Fence. Grey canyon is cool, but the hills are low and the landscape spreads out more. There are a lot fewer cottonwoods and more openness to the campsites in Grey Canyon. Try and plan your layover days in Deso.....not Grey.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
A couple of things to note, Gazzy.

In order to rent a screened in hut at the put it you need to call the Price BLM office. You can't rent them through Rec.gov, but they do give you the layout of them to help you choose which one you want.
Actually, you can get the screen cabins through recreation.gov now. I just picked one up myself for an April 20th launch.
rivergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #56

Northwest, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
Yea Im thinking the shuttle part of this trip might be the biggest obstacle.

Id like to hear about multiple RRT experiences from more people
Did 8 days on the river last April (one wind induced layover - wind flipped boats are a real thing), none of them real long river days because we had lots of young kids on the trip, and no motor either. Next time I want to do more hiking and less babysitting.

We had a positive experience with RRT. The drive into Sand Wash is no joke. Their disclaimer about tires is there for a reason. I've had 2 friends end up buying new sets of load range E tires because of that drive in - they were not adequately prepared to begin with. The vehicle owners were at the wheel in both of these cases. Be prepared to be dismayed by the number of oil wells visible on the drive in. It can be disturbing if you aren't ready for it.
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #57

Banff, alberta
Shit, well.... my girlfriend has been successfully scared off from deso.... I shouldn’t have told her to read all this. Dammit. If I can’t re-convince her to go I’ve done a lot of hours of planning for nothing.

🤯🤬😤
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #58

It can be very pleasent, however ...
1. Make sure she has a dry suit with ample fleece to go underneath.
2. Take enough time to allow you to sit out bad weather days.
3. Make camp before it starts snowing or raining. Easier to stay warm than to get warm.
4. Bring a good kitchen shelter.
5. Bring an extra sleeping bag. Good ground pads are a must.
6. A Mr Heater propane heater can be nice.
7. Make sure she has a warm hat and gloves.

Basically, keep her warm, keep her dry.
rivergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018   #59
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Well, if she reads this post, just GO it is AWESOME!! Could have a little wind and weather, yes, but it is still a GREAT TIME!!
We rarely regret the adventures in life that we go on, but we pretty much ALWAYS regret the cool adventures, that we choose to turn down.
At least our opinion, my sweet heart and me.
Wouldn't have gone almost 8 years in a row, if it wasn't worth going
Old 12-28-2018   #60

Half Moon Bay, California
Paddling Since: '82
All the things that scare your girl are the exception not the norm. Just go and take extra stuff to stay warm and dry. It's just a river trip. Time spent on the river cannot be deducted from your life.

In other words

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson
ckirrk is offline   Reply With Quote