Desolation early april - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-23-2018   #41

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Deso camps

This website has photos of the camps along Deso (and other rivers) and will give you a good idea of what to expect for camps along the way.

https://www.whitewatercampsites.com/index.html

Ever_Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018   #42

Jenks, Oklahoma
Thanks caverdan for the post on rapids to scout. You have a lot more Deso Gray floats than I do. Good advice in my opinion..
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018   #43

Banff, alberta
Great advice everybody. Some of u will be receiving private messages from me here in the new year when I start truly preparing. Happy holidays!!
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2018   #44

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
Hmm so after the trip u fly back to your truck for cheaper than a shuttle? Kinda sounds like a no brainer.... that being said I guess someone’s gotta stay and watch the rig

Not exactly, you drive from Sand Wash to Swaseys, we always have at least 2 vehicles, take one of them to the airport, meet the plane and fly back to Sand Wash. Like I said the downside is the time it takes to drive from Sand wash to Swaseys.
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018   #45
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Great advice everybody. Some of u will be receiving private messages from me here in the new year when I start truly preparing. Happy holidays!!
Happy holidays to you to! I am lucky enough to spend next month in the bottom of the Grand Canyon so won't be hear for a while, but happy to help with info and advice anyway I can.

Hope ya get to go, and have a great time!

Matt Man
Old 12-24-2018   #46

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
2017 was a big year by the looks of historical flows..... I’m hoping it’s above 3-4K cfs at least

I've done two low water trips at 1250 and 2,000 CFS. They were both a lot of fun with no real issues. Mid to late May trip if you get a chance in the future @ 20,000 + is also a real hoot.

RR shuttles is great. You drive right by their front door on the way to the put-in. Their drivers will not smoke or eat in your vehicle. Just do not show up with a hunk of junk with bald tires and expect it to make it in and out of Sand Wash. Last year they shuttled over 3,500 vehicles and I think you read one complaint from years past. I have used them about 15 times or so.
Old 12-24-2018   #47

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNichols View Post
Not exactly, you drive from Sand Wash to Swaseys, we always have at least 2 vehicles, take one of them to the airport, meet the plane and fly back to Sand Wash. Like I said the downside is the time it takes to drive from Sand wash to Swaseys.
Marshall, there are plus and minuses to every shuttle plan. Sorry to hear you've had bad luck with RR in the past. Some of the things I like about them is they don't drive the back way shortcut and they use older people like you and I to drive the cars around.

Back in the day, the High School use to use a school bus, so we had to drive around and fly back to the group. Now a days they have a mini bus that doesn't require a special license to drive, so we shuttle with RR's.

Flying shuttle is an experience that everyone should do at least once in their life during a Deso trip. It's such a special flight and really shows you how remote the canyons are. I loved the few I got to take during those years before all the drilling.

The minuses to running your own shuttle can really hinder a trip. One year the 40' long rubberized tarp for the top of the bus was left behind. We had to haul it down. Whatever someone forgot to get off the bus was gone for the whole trip. One year the weather was such that the plane didn't fly till the next day. The ranger still let the trip launch a day late, but we had to cut out a layover day due to the food pack. Another time the shuttle had problems and the bus had to be towed to Green river for repairs. They missed the flight the next morning and once again had to cut the trip short by a day.

The biggest plus of those bus shuttle trips was.........we parked at Mr. Hastings ranch and were his guest for the night. He would call someone he knew and the road would be freshly graded for us, all the way to sand wash. He'd cook us breakfast in the morning and take us to the airport in a Volkswagen "Thing". The stories he'd tell us about the area were priceless. RIP old friend.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018   #48

Sedalia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
As its a long drive for you I would go for the max number of days. It’s worth seeing as least once. Ive ran it about 10 times but its much closer for me. There is the potential for quite a bit of upriver wind so plan on a lot of rowing. I dont use a motor. The rapids are mild class III and I consider it a float and bloat. Enjoy no bugs early season as they are nasty a little later and enjoy the scenery.
hhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018   #49

Parker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
SHUTTLE: I’ve used River Runners to shuttle. For 2018, 1-3 vehicles is $225 per vehicle. 4 or more would be $210 per vehicle. If you haven’t been down the road to Sand Wash before…it’s pretty rough. Make sure your vehicle and trailer and anything on it are in good shape and tied down well.

This river, below 4k, is a lot of rowing and a lot of wind. Get early starts and pull off early, before the wind starts blowing you back upstream.

It's one of the easiest class III rivers I've been on, other than the wind, and everything was fine to read and run.
PhotoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018   #50

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah
Paddling Since: 1980
Desolation early april

Gazzy - you've received a lot of great advice for DESOGRAY! Endeavoring to spend 4-5 nights is doable, but as you said, they will be long river days. Methinks the mitigating factors are; there's too much to see/hike, and wind is a major issue. I'd plan on more time.

The wind in Deso presents a fatiguing dynamic when it comes up every day. There have been times we've been forced off river and haven't been able to even set up camp until after dark. Okieboater and Caverdan (I'm an old high school teacher too) both offered salient comments.

Read between the lines about wind and flying - trying to land on the mesa above Sand Wash proves impossible. Not wanting to leave gear and people adrift for a full day shuttling vehicles than convinces me to use RRT - your vehicle will be sitting there at Swaseys. Melanie and Ed are terrific to work with.

I'd check with him to see if they also rent motors (since you said you're renting equipment too - Ed does a great job of maintaining and updating their equipment). The first 25 miles is FLAT and full of tamarisk - if wind comes up you've not many places to pull in. (Be aware the river ranger checks your boat for legal motor registration.) There have been trips we wished we'd carried more fuel to be able to use the motor because of wind.

Absolutely reserve a net cabin at Sand Wash. You should beat the mosquito bloom (literally the worst place in the world for them). Having a cabin really helps with an early launch - besides providing weather protection.

Do any of you know if the Ute Tribe still requires a permit for camping on the east side of the river?

Enjoy! Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green River - DesoGray2011 022.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	32727  
DarrylH is offline   Reply With Quote