Desolation early april - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-21-2018   #21

Banff, alberta
10-4
I for one hate rushing things and a week in deso sounds amazing.

gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018   #22

Banff, alberta
Lol dreads and peanut butter eh? Sounds like a boneheaded friend of mine.
Old 12-21-2018   #23
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yep, bad idea from the natural selection end!
Not that I don't wish the guy didn't get his head chewed on, but I do feel bad for the bear, think it had to be shot after that, and I like bears, and wildlife, and stuff that makes the place what it is.
Had one watching us run a rapid one time, and a cub making a B-line for our kitchen while we were headed for a hike, another trip. We had things Bomb and Bear proof before we left, so main concern was not to run into mom!

Some healthy Mountain Lion populations down there to, from what I have seen, just gives ya goose bumps, when you see a fresh kill and it smells like a litter box! But just a little common sense goes a long ways with them, to, and they are really shy critters usually, really wish I can get to see one someday.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2018   #24

Banff, alberta
Awesome.... lots of cougars up here in the bow valley as well, and bears. I’m used to hanging my food. I don’t think that’s always an option for that in deso. Better have a bomb proof cooler or some kind of fencing to keep bearsafe?
Old 12-22-2018   #25

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
River Runners Shuttle IS the only way to go. They are great to work with. I've used them for many years. They might still be the only company allowed to do Deso shuttles.

River Runners simply outlasted the competition, and after 3 separate really bad experiences with them, I wouldn't use them at all, ever. I'm not going to go into the sordid details, and yes, it was years ago, but I can tell you that they are completely uninsured, and after reading the latest iteration of their "Liability release" anyone that would sign that form IMHO is flippin nuts.

Redtail avaition out of Moab does an airplane shuttle, which is most cool, they fly UP the river taking you to Sand Wash, the photo op's are incredible. Not to mention it's only $185.00 per person. Your vehicle never moves after you park and lock it.

The downside is you have to drive to Swasey's from Sand Wash, which is time, but well worth it in both peace of mind not having to worry about RRT destroying your vehicle, and the airplane ride is a super cool and really special addition to your river trip.

https://flyredtail.com/river-shuttles.php

My 2, your mileage may vary.
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018   #26

I do lots of Deso trips in April. I would definately plan on at least one weather induced layover day. Planning for two is better... you don’t have to use them both. I remember one year, when one of the nicest days I have ever spent on a river, was followed by one of the windest days I gave ever spent. That was followed by two and a half days of snow. So nice to have the option of just huddling in camp.
rivergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018   #27
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
Awesome.... lots of cougars up here in the bow valley as well, and bears. Im used to hanging my food. I dont think thats always an option for that in deso. Better have a bomb proof cooler or some kind of fencing to keep bearsafe?
Shouldn't have to hang food on Desolation Canyon, so far I have never had a bear on my boat on this stretch. Just a nice clean camp, and packing stuff up well, has done the trick so far. I have seen the bear fences up on the Rogue river, up in Oregon, and bear problems are way worse up there by comparison. We cooked up some apple wood bacon one morning, and watched this big fat sleek girl across the river from our camp. She was almost standing up, sniffing the air, was really fun to watch, until she got self conscious, and ran off.

Like your Tiger, by the way, now that is one predator that scares the hell out of me! That, and Grizz. Haven't camped in Grizzly country before, and it has kept me off some northern rivers so far, hope to get up there anyway someday.
Old 12-22-2018   #28

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Do not hesitate to go and enjoy it while you can...all "adversities" crumble in the presence of beauty, isolation and peace.
Old 12-22-2018   #29

Banff, alberta
Yea I’m thinking the shuttle part of this trip might be the biggest obstacle.

I’d like to hear about multiple RRT experiences from more people
Old 12-22-2018   #30

Banff, alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
Do not hesitate to go and enjoy it while you can...all "adversities" crumble in the presence of beauty, isolation and peace.
I’m with ya on that mr tomcat