Desolation early april - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-21-2018   #11

Banff, alberta
Im feelin comfortable with everything I’m hearin here my friend.... only thing I’d be uncomfortable with would be really low flows.
Would anyone happen to know a ballpark cost on having RRT shuttle my truck from sand washto Swasey’s? I haven’t heard anything back from them

BTW This forum is so informative

gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018   #12

Banff, alberta
And maybe a few days of unrelenting wind....that would not be comfortable
Old 12-21-2018   #13

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
Im feelin comfortable with everything Iím hearin here my friend.... only thing Iíd be uncomfortable with would be really low flows.
Would anyone happen to know a ballpark cost on having RRT shuttle my truck from sand washto Swaseyís? I havenít heard anything back from them

BTW This forum is so informative

$225-$250 Plus tip?
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2018   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
BIGHORN- 6 day trip would be silly? In what sense? Too long? Too short?

Tooooo short. Do a layover at wire fence 2, set up the groover up on the flat valley away from the main camping area and take a dump when the sunrises and or sets. The view almost makes sitting on a groover pleasant. Lots of short and long hikes to enjoy all along the river. The wind tends, in my humble opinion, to blow more in the PM so try to get to camp early and then hike or plan your camp site close down stream to where your hiking.
Old 12-21-2018   #15

It is pretty safe as a single boat.
Old 12-21-2018   #16

Banff, alberta
All great advice and all’s being taken into consideration. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-21-2018   #17
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Great advice folks have given. I have run Deso quite a bit, both as trips with just my girl and me, adding one of my best boating friends, or a whole crew. I always have a great time, even if I'm getting blown away by wind, or getting snowed on a bit. Some of my Windiest have been there. Lot's of great hikes, and Freemont, plus some Archaic era rock art, graneries to check out as well. Saw some Buffalo at three canyon last time.

You are welcome to P. M. me as well, for any trip advice I might have. Take more than 6 days if you can, so you can enjoy your time on the water, and go hike, drink a beverage, enjoy sitting under a cottonwood. We are lucky enough to still have lots of them there, cause of the Yampa being free flowing.
Old 12-21-2018   #18
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have also seen Black Bears, otters, beavers, bighorn, dear, foxes, catfish hoarding eddies, moose and Mountain Lion sign, Black hawk Helicopters, and river legend Herm, pushing off from sand wash wearing his Tucan hat. Was good to see him, even remembered us from a high water cat trip 15 years ago.
No Grizzly's anymore though, Black bears should be fine if you keep a clean camp, and don't sleep on the ground with Peanut Butter in your hair, like this dread locked kid that I heard about, guess the bear tried to eat his head, down at school section. Poor bear, thought he was getting a good meal, instead, some empty headed white kid.
Special place in this world, for sure.
Old 12-21-2018   #19

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Six days will feel way too rushed.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018   #20

Golden, Colorado
Only thing Iíll add is that with this run at lower flows you are really earning your miles on the river. If you want downstream progress, you are rowing. If itís windy then you are REALLY rowing.... or just stuffed. The current most of the time is pretty minimal. So go in with that mentality and youíll be fine. Donít be expecting some lazy float with a beer in your hand, oars shipped and still making 3 miles an hour. You are gonna work for the scenery, occasional rapids and cool campsites.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote