Desolation early april - Page 10 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-25-2019   #91

C. Springs, Colorado
If you drive around and fly back, you run the risk of bad weather and the plane not being able to fly you back to the put in if it's raining or snowing. The plane ride is so cool that I hate to talk you out of doing it, but weather can be a deal breaker if the plane can't take off or not.

River Runners uses mostly old people to do the driving and I've had really good luck with them in the past. I've done both and prefer RR to shuttle my vehicle over flying and spending a day driving around.

The put in is pretty safe and I wouldn't be afraid to leave my stuff there during the time of year you are going. There is a ranger that lives down there full time. Let him know whats up and I'm sure your stuff will be safe.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019   #92

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzy902 View Post
Most of my concern is about having someone else drive my truck on back roads....

Your truck is probably safer with RR driving it than you.
They know the roads better than you.
Old 02-25-2019   #93

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
The road is pretty nice these days, the oil and gas industry has made some improvements.
I've done the air shuttle as well as the RR shuttle.
I'll always do the RR shuttle now. When you fly you still have to do lots of extra driving as well as run a little shuttle from the air strip to the take out.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019   #94

Banff, alberta
Yea guys summed up the pros and cons rather nicely..... but the what if’s with weather is a deal breaker. River runners wins the pot! Thanks everyone.
gazzy902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019   #95

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
RR Shuttles has been great for me on 5 trips. Saved my bacon with a truck tire flat about halfway in to Sand Wash.

In April, bring ski goggles. From personal experience.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019   #96

idaho falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
Bring a motor.

It's a lot of oaring. Seriously, it's so slow! But worth it
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019   #97

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
We're leaving this Saturday for our annual Teachers' Spring Break Deso (even though most of us are retired now), and it's been a really wet, snowy winter. I'm wondering if anyone here has gone in to Sand Wash via 9 Mile and the Wrinkle Road out of Wellington in the last few weeks and could report on the road conditions in. There are a couple of low spots that might give 2WD trucks or me with my trailer some trouble. If it's too rough we'll go up and around, coming down by Myton as we used to back in the day.
We're flying the shuttle with Redtail, which would make the Myton road a bit more involved for the drivers going back to Swasey's for the night.

This has been a fun thread to read, I joined the forum just today. Deso is my favorite trip, even if it is cold and windy in the Spring, Africa-hot and buggy in the Summer. Btw, a 7-day is pretty much the minimum trip length. It's really nice to have at least one layover day.
Timsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019   #98

Banff, alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsr View Post
We're leaving this Saturday for our annual Teachers' Spring Break Deso (even though most of us are retired now), and it's been a really wet, snowy winter. I'm wondering if anyone here has gone in to Sand Wash via 9 Mile and the Wrinkle Road out of Wellington in the last few weeks and could report on the road conditions in. There are a couple of low spots that might give 2WD trucks or me with my trailer some trouble. If it's too rough we'll go up and around, coming down by Myton as we used to back in the day.
We're flying the shuttle with Redtail, which would make the Myton road a bit more involved for the drivers going back to Swasey's for the night.

This has been a fun thread to read, I joined the forum just today. Deso is my favorite trip, even if it is cold and windy in the Spring, Africa-hot and buggy in the Summer. Btw, a 7-day is pretty much the minimum trip length. It's really nice to have at least one layover day.
Let us know how it goes!!!
Old 03-12-2019   #99

WE are running in Early April.

We have a trip setup for April 8th-15th if your interested in Joining. We have been doing this for the last few years and Love this time of year in Deso.
Alex.V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019   #100

Banff, alberta
I’ll just miss ya. We launch on the 3rd