Mountain Buzz banner

CPAP for multi day trips

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bitlost 
#1 ·
I’m looking for info on your experiences with a CPAP machine on multi day trips.

I am planning a Deso trip for April with my dad who uses a CPAP.

What brands, models, batteries and charging methods work best?Packability efficiency is also a bit of a concern.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I use an old Philips Respronics CPAP I got at a garage sale on off the grid trips. I don't use my nice new machine where damage can be done. Whatever machine you use make sure its 12v that way you don't have to invert power to 120v, Inverters are very inefficient. Most of the consideration goes into the battery. I use a knock off 12v Milwaukee cordless tool batteries the BIGEST ones u can get like 9AH(helps make it through the night). Then you get the 12v adapter not the Milwaukee one but the one that has wires sticking out and is 3D printed by some guy in his basement (The reason for that is the factory adapters will not allow you to draw enough power to run you machine) take those two wires and put a cigarette charging port on it or whatever 12v connector goes to your machine(make sure to pay attention to polarity sometimes it matters) Plug it in to your machine and do some test runs to see how long your machine will run on one battery. the advantages to this setup are the batteries are inexpensive for the AH, setup is SUPER light, Very compact, Lithium batteries will take a deep discharge, versatility of batteries and cost. CPAP machines are VERY voltage sensitive(both over and under) so if you try to use a Lead acid battery you will only get about 2/3 of the juice out of it before the voltage drops and you machine will shut off so avoid them at all cost. 6 batteries, a 12v adapter and a cigarette plug is about 200$. Make sure to do some test runs every machine is different. Matt

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-adap...2+batteries+12+adapter&qid=1573882431&sr=8-13

https://www.amazon.com/Lithium-ion-Replacement-48-11-2411-48-11-2440-48-11-2402/dp/B0742ZVP1P/ref=sr_1_33?crid=3RPSTVCMVS8F5&keywords=m12+battery&qid=1573882513&sprefix=m12%2Caps%2C251&sr=8-33

#5 ·
I know this is an old thread but as someone searching for information about how to power my cpap while camping, I thought it might be nice to share my experience for others to use to make decisions on... Here is what I tested last night.

My Setup:
Battery: M18 High Output XC 8.0
Inverter: Milwaukee Top Off (175W Power Supply)
CPAP: Resmed Airsense 10 (turned off heated tube and humidifier)
CPAP Pressure: 10

I was able to power my cpap for 7 hours straight without an issue. The battery still shows half a battery charge. I would estimate that to mean 12 to 14 hours in total. A couple things to note, your mileage may vary a little depending on the model of your cpap and your pressure settings. I will be taking the travel version of my cpap on a backpacking trip which should require less power and should last longer. Overall I know I am losing efficiency with the top off, but I can use the batteries I already own and use for my tools to make this work on the trip which is a huge win for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.