camping near Potash Launch - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-23-2019  

Denver, Colorado
camping near Potash Launch

Anybody have any suggestions for camping near the launch the night before put in?

Sounds like the launch itself is private so bad ethics to throw down there, but an NPS person said camping "down the road" is an option, but I've never been down Potash so not sure what that'd be like.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019  

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Lots of camping along the road between Moab and Potash. Its all first come first served and availability will depend on whats happening in Moab that week.

It isn't a private launch, but there is no longer camping there. I think there might be some if you keep going up the road that goes behind and up the side of the canyon behind the boat ramp too but not sure.

Its about a 20 minute drive from town and there are lots of options in every direction from town.
Old 09-23-2019  

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
My understanding was that Potash river access was private property, which the CLNPS has a deal with to be able to use as a river access point, therefore the no camping rule, but that may have changed?

Lots of people role in late and camp there, but still riskey business, and not great camping either.
If it’s off season like this fall, you should be fine camping at Gold bar, or one of the other Blm pay sites.
Don’t push your luck with non designated camping around Moab, I think the vehicle blm, cops literally fall asleep at night, jacking off to the thought of harassing some fucking Howie the next morning who is camped illegally in the wrong spot.
The river office, on the other hand, does an outstanding job, in my lowly opinion.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2019  
Be Like Water

Rivertime, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
The launch is 100% private property owned by pothash intrepid. I dont believe there is enough legal camping between the launch and Moab to count on a spot. The advice that you use a pay BLM site is spot on, but depending on when you're there it can be slim pickings to none. Gold bar is a good choice if there is a spot. And for sure, like matt man said, blm cops love busting campers who are breaking the rules. I've pulled in late and slept in my truck at the launch but never feel good about it nor do I sleep well. I tend to camp on the way to Moab, then drive a bit more in the morning. Lots of folks in the area and not enough legal sites so beware.

Have a great float!!!
Old 09-23-2019  

Lakewood, Colorado
I guess I assumed it was BLM land since they have installed a toilet and picnic tables and stuff.

There a bunch of a sites along the road to Potash....at least 3 different spots with at least 5-10 tent sites each. As I said... how easy they will be to acquire is entirely dependent on what is happening in the area. If there is a big event or its the weekend...might be kinda hard to find a open spot. Show up on a Tuesday with no major events happening and you'll probably have a bunch of sites to pick from.

It is certainly a bummer that they treat people the way they do...but I might be a bit grumpy if I had to deal with the BS that the average visitor to Moab does too.
Old 09-23-2019  

Central Point, Oregon
Unless something is changed in the last three years, we have camped directly across the river on a large beach with great success. We have always motors back-and-forth but suspect rolling at low flows would be a non-issue.

It’s a spectacular time to be down there enjoy your trip.
Old 09-24-2019  

Denver, Colorado
That's the problem: I have no problem paying for a site, but my launch is a Sunday morning, so rolling into the sites along the Daily on Saturday night seems likely to be a fail, and I was out there a couple weeks ago and a bunch of those sites were closed for road construction as well. Sounds like the same probability along Potash Road. Maybe I should throw down somewhere closer to Junction.
Old 09-24-2019  

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhusbands View Post
That's the problem: I have no problem paying for a site, but my launch is a Sunday morning, so rolling into the sites along the Daily on Saturday night seems likely to be a fail, and I was out there a couple weeks ago and a bunch of those sites were closed for road construction as well. Sounds like the same probability along Potash Road. Maybe I should throw down somewhere closer to Junction.

You can always camp at Fish Ford, just down from the Cisco Landing take out for Westwater, heck, you can camp at Cisco too, just not an established campground. Is about an hour to Moab from there, peaceful, quiet and no fees, but there are restrooms..
Old 09-24-2019  

Lakewood, Colorado
If you really think its going to be an issue...put in at Mineral Bottom and go down the Green instead. Dispersed camping allowed all along that road.

If you are doing your own shuttle, then there are lots and lots of options for camping between the put in and take out either way you go.
Old 09-24-2019  

Granby, Colorado
We needed a campsite for the thursday night of labor day weekend this year. I was concerned all the river spots would be filled even though it was a thursday due to the holiday. We camped at Courthouse rock, about 15 miles north of Moab cause I didn't want to have to backtrack at 11pm to find a place to crash. It is a huge flat parking area with campsites around the edge. Was good for the night and had some amazing dino tracks for the kids to check out in the am before we headed to the river.