Camping between Vallie Bridge & Parkdale - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 1 Day Ago   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Camping between Vallie Bridge & Parkdale

I am thinking about doing a 3 day / 2 night trip on Ark in July from Salida East to Parkdale. I know I can reserve a walk in site at Vallie Bridge, but not sure where to try to camp between there and Parkdale. Is there anything someone can recommend on river left such that I am not roadside? I have my dogs and don't want to be anywhere near the road. I don't mind a bit of a walk if it's under the railroad, but don't want any scrambling up a steep hill with tables/groover.

denali1322 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Day Ago   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
There is a real big nice one that can camp several groups with a bunch of cottonwoods. It gets camped at occasionally by privates and gets some commercial overnight traffic. I'm spacing how far above Pinnacle it is, but you could go out to parkdale from there in a day at decent flows for sure. If it is just you and a couple dogs there should be lots of makeshift options, a bigger group, less.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Hours Ago   #3

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
There is a real big nice one that can camp several groups with a bunch of cottonwoods. It gets camped at occasionally by privates and gets some commercial overnight traffic. I'm spacing how far above Pinnacle it is, but you could go out to parkdale from there in a day at decent flows for sure. If it is just you and a couple dogs there should be lots of makeshift options, a bigger group, less.

If memory serves, Cottonwood camp is about MM 256 on highway 50, pinnacle rock is at MM 258. I suppose you could always camp at AHRA Lone Pine as well, but it's a hardened site, but it is about 1/2 way between Vallie Bridge and Pinnacle. In the summer, there are numerous rattlesnake reports at Cottonwood...
MNichols is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22 Hours Ago   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
It's not the best but there's camping down through that stretch on BLM land. Typically you'll need to tie up and go up a drainage under the RR tracks on River Left. Then you'll find yourself on a barren bench with cacti and completely exposed to the road over across the river. The alternative is to camp out down in the gully and pray for a rain-less night...

The campsite Marshall and Zach are talking about is on River Left
a mile or so below Texas Creek and not far above Pinnacle Rock. It's probably the best one on the stretch but is a very long way below Vallie Bridge. There's room for a second group about 50 yds. downstream if the main campsite by the giant fallen cottonwood is taken.

There are also occasional spots on River Right but they'll have you directly at the bottom of the embankment below the road. Be wary of camping on private land.

Let us know what you find!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Hours Ago   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Get a small game license. Rattlesnake season is june 15-aug 15. Would make a cool meal to have on the fire and then you could make a badass hat band. Just saying.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Minutes Ago   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thanks for all the intel - good stuff. Sounds like a few options. I've floated that area many times, but never paid very close attention to where I could camp.
denali1322 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark