Boat recommendations, Middle Fork Salmon, June 15th - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-08-2019   #11

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
Thanks all for the advice.

Matt man- I know its really a tough spot to be in trying to get from the river to Mexico in such a short amount of time......1st world problems. Unfortunately its not my permit so.....sorry on the invite. The group so far is from Crested Butte/Gunnison so might be able to get someone to bring my boat back.

janderson- thanks for the offer! Thats huge and once we get more into the planning I may holler at you. thanks again

C-dog/lhowemt- I always like your advice on the buzz. Ya'll seem like cool folks. I'm leaning toward the cat too. Its a 20 year old hyside in great shape and its a lot of fun especially in bigger water.

Looks like no problem on B.C. road and all the predictions I've looked at are indicating 5feet or so but theres still a lot of time left and its dumping snow in CB right now.....

so much decisions

maybe I'll take the 9'6"er and R1 it then I can just drive my Subaru and save a few bucks on gas and not worry about a frame. Thats the thought a had while i was lying awake at 4 this morning.

flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019   #12

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Other option: Take a kayak. Lock it in your Subie at SLCIA. Have the big rafts haul your gear - on a raft like CarveDog's it may not even be noticeable. The rafter may even appreciate having someone else's gear to put at the bottom of the pile, and a kayaker to ferry shareable snacks and beverages between rafts.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #13

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by flite View Post

maybe I'll take the 9'6"er and R1 it then I can just drive my Subaru and save a few bucks on gas and not worry about a frame. Thats the thought a had while i was lying awake at 4 this morning.
Hellz yeah!!!!
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019   #14

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Launching the 15th also. Bringing boats from 10'6" Maxi Me to 16'. Most will be 14'ers. See you up there.
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15

Crested Butte, Colorado
Backcountry-Are you guys running oars on that Maxi? or paddling it? I guess i'll see on the 14th

I got out the little boat on the Taylor Friday and I'm rethinking 7 long days of R1ing (and probably lots of swimming).I broke my wrist in Dec. and all that paddling makes it a bit tender.
I had the oar frame on the 9'6" Sunday and it was a lot more relaxed. I just got off the Grand and was rowing an 18' fully loaded Sotar and I forgot how much the little boats move. I'm going to try to get the Cat over to Westy while the water is up or maybe on the Ark (we'll be there memorial day weekend, loping from Ruby mountain campground)if it ever comes up.

thanks
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
It's my daughters boat and she will be running an oar rig for the Middle Fork. My son sometimes runs a Mini Me with an oar rig for week long trips but the two of them will be teaming up on the Maxi as it is their first trip down the Middle Fork. R1ing while fun would be a lot of work on a week long trip.
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17

Crested Butte, Colorado
Update: I took the cat through west water this weekend. It was running 15k cfs. the boat handled real well and gave me a lot of confidence that it can crush some bigger water. Also did a day trip on the San Miguel ,(my 1st SM experience) which runs through some beautiful country, and ran Species creek down to Pinion, about 31 miles. It was a long day but I was comfortable in the cat all day. Not really tough rowing but constant action at 750cfs and some fun surf waves below Horsefly creek. Didn't have a drag bag so my beer was not too accessible but I've already got that "problem" sorted out.

After this weekend leaning towards the cat but may still go bigger so I can sleep on the boat? Any know what the camp eddies are like? Is sleeping on the boat an option? I get lazy when I'm rafting Batchelor style and don't like breaking down a tent in the morning.

Taking a bunch of boats over to the Arkansas next weekend so I'll get some more laps in the 9'6" Saturn and the Cat as well as the bigger boats...if theres any water. If anyone is around Browns Canyon, we'll be at Ruby Mountain camps lapping different runs, come say HI! I'm the big goofy looking guy
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I slept on my boat once on the MFS, I love sleeping on my boat, but about mid night or so, the Chinese water torture started. Drip.... drip..drip, Fuck! I did manage to set my fly up on the raft, over myself, so I did not have to get off my boat, camped across from Sunflower. Was a really nice eddy to sleep in, but I’m guessing that if it would not have rained on my ass, it would have been pretty Dewey in the morning, just so much edge around.

Guess I did sleep on my boat a second night, ne’er the end of the trip, was really nice sleeping, just real Dewey.

I’d probably take the cat myself, I sure do love rowing mine.
Wish I didn’t have company coming this weekend, or I’d come join ya on the Ark! Run Browns once, and gorge a few times this year, gonna be an awesome season for us co dirt bags!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
A note on running the little cat on multi days. I got a piece of plywood for my floor, and man that makes it nice on the overnights. Keeps me a little dryer, place to stand up and look at rapids, makes rigging stuff next to my self way easier to.
Floors just make for a happy home on a river trip!

Have fun up there man!